cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to determine is it SMB - Remote SAM server access , false positive?

fisko
Level 1
Level 1

How to determine is it SMB - Remote SAM server access , false positive?

2 Replies 2

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You know it by looking at the source/destination IPs. An IPS is no magic device, its just a 'tool' to enforce your security policy. If those IPs are allowed to access SAM remotely, then its aceeptable (i.e. IPS False Positive), if they are not allowed, its NOT OK (True Positive).

Regards

Farrukh

mhellman
Level 7
Level 7

5583-0 right?

I would say that there are different types of false positives. Do you mean, how do I determine if what what was seen actually represents an attempt to access the SAM database? I would start by looking at MySDN (or whatever Cisco is calling it these days...intellishield?). It's often not very up to date and missing information, but it's an easy thing to check. Here's the link for this sig:

https://intellishield.cisco.com/security/alertmanager/ipsSignature?signatureId=5583&signatureSubId=0

If you look at the benign triggers, you'll see that it suggests that this only matters if the source is external. It's up to you whether to research any further. If you really want to inspect the signature further, you'll have to add one of the "log packets" actions. This will save a network trace when it fires again and then you can open it up in Wireshark, which understands SMB and will probably decode it enough for you to verify whether it actually was an attempt to access the "Remote SAM server".

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card