cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I only upgrade to an IOS with the same release number?

Right now I have 1841 with an IP BASE IOS, major release 12.4, release number 12.4(1c)

Now if I want to upgrade the IOS to the 'Advanced IP Services' feature set, do I need to get the one for 12.4(1c) and only that one?

Because I do not see the Advanced IP Services IOS in that version.

Is there anything stopping me from getting, say, the 12.4(19b) release? I am just confused on all these release numbers, what they mean, and how they determine what I can and can't get.

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Legally, you can download any release number if you maintain the same feature set you've purchased.

If you purchased IP BASE, then downloading an 'Advanced IP Services' feature set will violate your license agreement as this IOS line contains more services hence more expensive.

HTH,

__

Edison.

No, no, I am looking to purchase an upgrade, no illegal stuff going on, lol.

I just dont understand this release version stuff. The way I viewed it was 12.4 (1c) is synonymous with Windows XP (Pro). The 12.4 refers to the major release (XP) and the release number 1c, is like one of the many options, in this case, Professional edition.

Go ahead and purchase the 'Advanced IP Services' feature set, then you should be able to download any IOS release version within the Advanced IP Services feature set.

As you stated, 12.4 is the major release and the following numbers are sub-release numbers.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card