Issues with Bulk Admin Tool

Unanswered Question
Sep 12th, 2008

I have a customer that is currently having problems adding agents using the bulk agent insert tool. The error states "Failed to update the database. An agent is already defined for this peripheral with the number that was entered"

I originally thought the customer was assigning peripheral numbers at random to the agents, however, this is not the case. They are leaving this field blank to be generated by the system.

This is what I recieved from TAC:

"After investigating the conditions that could cause such an exception to come back from ICM here is what I found.

This actually denotes that the AW was busy with another transaction and this transaction needs to be resubmitted.

Some other transaction could include use of ICM configuration tools when a modification was made using a tool and the changes were saved although it could be another conapi operation too. This is due the single-threaded nature of certain ICM libraries that the transaction could get rejected if the AW was busy with another transaction.

The failure to create the 2 agents during bulk operation indicates that another user submitted a transaction on the same AW at the same time the agents were attempted to be created. Since a bulk operation in is not transactional and is really a repetitive calling of the same opcodes, the other user could very well have been able to successfully submit a transaction to the AW which was in progress at the time the "bulk" agent create operation was in progress.

So can this be retried during a low peak time where the chance of the AW being too busy to process the transactions is limited?"

I do not believe this is the case. There are only 2 AWs in this case and I was logged into the other one at the time to make sure agent explorer was closed. I do not see how this would be a factor. This error also occurs when as few as 25 agents are being added to the system using bulk agent add.

Customer is using ICM 7.2(3)

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
matt.rossmeisl Mon, 09/22/2008 - 04:22

Thanks for the reply. I supposed it is possible this bug is being hit, however, I setup a meeting place while the agents we're being added and I checked the other AW during the process. No other transactions were being made at the time.

--------

CSCma18762 Bug Details

failed to create 2 agents during bulk create

Symptom: Some bulk agents are not created during a bulk create

operation in an integrated instance.

Condition: The failure to create the agents during the bulk operation

indicates that another user submitted a transaction on the same AW at

the same time.

Workaround: Make another attempt to create the agents through the bulk

create option. The second attempt should be successful.

Actions

This Discussion