cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with large Wireless Survey

zmann7
Level 1
Level 1

I was thrown onto this hospital project and was only expecting it to take a week. Please take a look at some of these jpegs and give me your opinion on the placement and # of AP's.

This hopital wants coverage for data/voice. They will be installing 1131's (white icons) and keeping their 1121 AP's. (black icons)

I survey with a AP on a stick method and survey with half power. My biggest issue with surveying this way is the fact that I have no idea how the controller/wcs will act once everything is installed. They may power everything up or down.

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you planning on upgrading the 1121's to LWAPP? Did you survey both the existing and the new locations and went to every room. Hospitals usually is tricky because of the materials of the walls. Especially older hospitals. Also it is up to you to recommend the channel and power settings, just in case they want to go that route. If they are going to have voice and or Vocera, then you will need to lower the transmit power. All this has to be explained to your client to cover your behind.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Yes we are upgrading the 1121's to LWAPP. I started to survey as if we were starting completely over, then they told me they want to keep the 1121's in place. So i surveyed off of their existing, which they say is at half power by WLSE. The controller/wcs will be deciding power levels and channel settings.

The WLC will be doing RRM, but it might not be the best choice. Usually you can let it go and see if any issues arise with RRM. For expample, if the power and or channel keeps updating, then turning RRM off would be a good thing. Don't worry too much that you surveyed at half the transmit power, because you will be able to tweak that later if needed. As long as you walked in each room and verified that you have voice coverage (-65db) then you should be good to go.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: