cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP and Local Preference

w0unx
Level 1
Level 1

I have a simple question on the output of the "show ip bgp" command. I was studying routes and the reasoning on the choice/selection of the best path that BGP will decide on. I have attached a document of the show ip bgp and show ip bgp x.x.x.x and my question is why does locprf column in show ip bgp show values (100) for routes advertised via iBGP and no values (blank) for routes advertised via eBGP? I know the routes that have no value have a preference of 100 by further investigating by using the show ip bgp x.x.x.x command. I have search for a good hour without any results. Thanks for your time.

2 Replies 2

bbxie
Level 3
Level 3

Local Preference is only passed by IBGP within same AS, not passed by EBGP, Default Local Preference value is 100, that's why show ip bgp show values (100) for routes advertised via iBGP and no values (blank) for routes advertised via eBGP.

D'oh!, Make senses now, "Local" I should have known that! Thanks for the clarification.

Billy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card