Views
Helpful
Replies

Advice on vlan or doing routing on 6509

msultan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I am building a new network which consists of a 6509 switch, a router and a FW. The 6509 switch is connectd to the router and the router to an ASA which has ISP connection to the Internet.

The router will also get an external connections to other offices running bgp and then an IGP protocol such as eigrp.

The question is should I do a trunk between the 6509 and the router and let the router do all the routing or should i do the routing on the switch and not worry about the trunk . Just create vlan's on the 6509 switch and have eigrp take care of the routing on the switch ?

We will also get some voice stuff and at this time I am not sure where to connect ?

Should I bring in the voice router to the core router or should I bring into the switch.

Any advice keeping will be very helpful.

Regards

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mehdi

Given the situation that you describe my suggestion would be to configure routing on the 6509 and configure the link from the 6509 to the router as a routed link rather than as a trunk. To the extent that some traffic will originate on some VLAN on the switch, and the destination will be in some other VLAN on the switch, I think it is better to be able to route it on the 6509 than to have to send it over the trunk, let the router make the forwarding decision, and forward the frame back over the trunk.

I have seen environments similar to this at some customer sites and the decision to route on the switch has generally worked well.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks Rick. It was very helpful.

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card