cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP Protocol

goutam_04
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, with 3750 switch a two 2960 switches are connected. in VTP configuration I have done 3750 as server and one 2960 as client and another one as transparent. But in all switches the version is showing 2. still I am geting the log given here "Sep 15 13:10:53.170 UTC: %SW_VLAN-4-VTP_USER_NOTIFICATION: VTP protocol user notification: Version 1 device detected on Gi1/0/1 after grace period has ended"

Can you tell what is this issue. This notification I am getting in 3750.

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Goutam,

what device is connected to c3750:gi1/0/1 ?

do sh cdp n g1/0/1

the switch in VTP transparent shouldn't be generating its own VTP frames but be aware that it can propagate VTP frames received on other interfaces (VTP frames have a multicast L2 destination) even if the vtp domain name doesn't match (this is one of the difference of a switch in VTP transparent with version 2).

So I would check if another switch is connected downstream the VTP transparent 2960 this could be the cause.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

Can you post the output of..... show vtp status ......

Mike

singhsaju
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Goutam,

Check out this link , it expalins the notification and its resolution:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk689/technologies_tech_note09186a0080890613.shtml#topic18

HTH

Saju

Pls rate helpful posts

Hi Goutam,

I think you have mismatching VTP version (feature)between your 3 switches.

Issue a #vtp status command on each switch and very 1st line will tell you the VTP version (software feature enabled) for that switch.

You should run version 2 on all

to do this in the global config mode type the command #vtp version 2

and this should fix this issue, unless there is another (4th) switch or a Router which you are not aware of...in that case show cdp nei details will be helpfull to identify that.

Please let us know if this helped, if not then post the show vtp status from each switch as well as show vtp counters then we can look into this further.

Hope this helps

Shaheen

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card