cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPSEC works with Dialup but not high speed....

rickcorriveau
Level 1
Level 1

I have been fighting with this odd error for way too long now. I have an IPSEC VPN setup (this is on a Cisco 5510-ASA) and when I test it under our dialup account, "we use this just to test the VPNs" I can terminate and get my routes (split-tunneling is on). I can ping the hosts I setup without issue as well.

Now when I disconnect this VPN and try either my AT&T T1 here at the office or my cable connection at home, both on the same laptop that worked with dial-up, again I can terminate the VPN and get the routes yet this time I cannot ping the servers at all. I hate to recreate the wheel or in this case the VPN when it does appear to work...this is the strangest error I have seen yet. I have even called in the cable company to check their lines to see if they are blocking anything which they assured me they are not and all traffic for this connection are wide open. I can send traffic out the VPN but cannot receive anything.

Any assistance with this is greatly appreciated.

Rick

3 Replies 3

singhsaju
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Rick,

I think IPsec (esp packets) is being blocked by NATing done by your cable ISP or AT&T T1 .

Enable NAT traversal on the VP head end device . In your case ASA ,

"isakmp nat-traversal 30"

HTH

Saju

Pls rate helpful posts

Hey, thanks for the insight. I tried this out and got the same issue. I can send but receive nothing when connected via high speed.

Dial up still works fine though..

Rick

Strange thing is, Dial up works yet high speed does not even though they terminate to the same device and credentials...

Rick

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: