Helpful
Replies

loadbalancer and Proxy setup

sarsamivel
Level 1
Level 1

can someone help on this.I am a newbee to loadbalancer concepts

we are going to have a setup like this:

we have 2 application servers and 2 ISA proxy servers.we need to load balance these 2 servers using load balancer.

Q1::can we load balance the 2 servers using same load balancer.how do i do it.

again,look this setup and suggest me.

Internet --> cisco ASA --> Loadbalancer --> Apps server and ISA proxy server

Q2::how do i load balance proxy server and provide internet connectivity to proxy server.whether i need to use 2 -interfaces on proxy (or) can i do some NAT on ASA to have internet on proxy.

6 Replies 6

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Your question is a little bit to generic.

The answer would actually require us to fo your job :-)

I would suggest to do some reading on loadbalancing in general and then the doc for your specific loadbalancer.

Q1: 1 loadbalancer for many servers - this is the purpose of the loadbalancer.

Q2: Proxy servers and just servers for the loadbalancer. So loadbalancing to proxy works the same way as loadbalancing for HTTP servers. Proxy get internet access through the loadbalancer which can also act as a router for traffic not matching a loadbalancing rule.

Gilles.

Thanks for that gilles.I know its generic but i am not getting exactly from other sources.

I think i was not clear with my question.let me put it again

Q1:loadbalancer for many server,Right.can i loadbalance multiple applications using single loadbalancer .like having 2 apps servers and 2 proxy servers and loadbalance this with same loadbalancer.

Q2:how to get internet access to proxy server.proxy will have 2 interface 1-internet and 1-private.how do i provide the internet connectivity with my setup

Internet --> cisco ASA --> Loadbalancer --> Apps server and ISA proxy server

i know its more towards setting up proxy server but this can be answered only in a networking forum.hope to get help.thanks.

Q1: Yes you can loadbalance multiple apps. You just create rules for each apps.

Q2: you don't want to play with 2 interfaces because loadbalance do not like traffic asymetry. So, if you want to avoid trouble complicated config, go for a single interface.

Attached it to the loadbalancer vlan and make the loadbalancer the default gateway.

Gilles.

Many thanks Gilles.You have explained what i need.

so what i understood is

i will use single interface(private IP) on the proxy servers.hmm..again got a question.

which IP i will make as default GW for proxy.

only the external IP of the LB will have the internet connection.

i think i got it wrong somewhere.

The proxy and the loadbalancer should share a subnet/vlan.

The default gateway of the proxy must be the loadbalancer ip address belongings to this shared vlan.

Gilles.

I understand that proxy server and loadbalancer will be in same vlan and GW for proxy servers will be the LB IP.

what i dint understand is

1.which IP does the client browser should use as proxy.

Thanks for understanding Giles .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: