Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic EIGRP neighborship

newnetman
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

In my experiment with EIGRP on a hub and spokes topology with three routers, i realized that once i configured one of the spokes to have neighbor (nei X.X.X.X int- name) relation with the hub, the second spoke is totally cut off from reaching even the hub's loopback address.

In order to ascertain what went wrong i went further to experiment the same on an Ethernet network, unfortunately i got the same result....have i done anything wrong or this is the normal behaviour of EIGRP?.

Unlike RIP where i was able to determined the types of updates on an interface by interface basis.

Your help to clarify my concerns shall be greatly appreciated.

Regards

7 Replies 7

satish_zanjurne
Level 4
Level 4

No !!! this is not normal behaviour of EIGRP.

Definitely something is wrong with the configuration or interfaces.

Can you attach the config of all 3 routers. ??

Hello,

Thanks for the great response.

Here is the outputs as demanded. I hope it can help you to help me further?.

THE HUB ROUTER (R1)

interface Loopback0

ip address 1.0.0.1 255.0.0.0

interface Ethernet0/0

ip address 10.0.0.1 255.0.0.0

router eigrp 1

network 0.0.0.0

no auto-summary

neighbor 10.0.0.2 Ethernet0/0

THE SPOKE WITH NEIGHBORSHIP (R2)

interface Loopback0

ip address 2.0.0.2 255.0.0.0

interface Ethernet0/0

ip address 10.0.0.2 255.0.0.0

router eigrp 1

network 0.0.0.0

no auto-summary

neighbor 10.0.0.1 Ethernet0/0

THE SECOND SPOKE (R3)

interface Loopback0

ip address 3.0.0.3 255.0.0.0

!

interface FastEthernet0/0

ip address 10.0.0.3 255.0.0.0

router eigrp 1

network 0.0.0.0

no auto-summary

Hi newnetman,

Have you already tried adding this on the HUB router:

neighbor 10.0.0.3 Ethernet 0/0

Cheers:

Istvan

Hello Istan,

I did not add the neighbor statement on the hub for (R3) because that was exactly what i wanted to see the outcome of.

My aim was to see (R1)the hub send unicast update to (R2) while it send multicast update to (R3), as this was possible with RIP, isn't it possible with EIGRP?.

Thank you once again,

So what do we conclude here - when you configure a specific EIGRP neighbor and you include an interface name in the command, EIGRP then prevents that interface from forming dynamic neighborships? All other neighbors with Layer 2 connections through that same interface must be statically configured?

hello Sir,

Many thanks for clarifying my. I wonder then why the experimental question asked me to crate a neighborship with one of the spokes with the hub. Could that be to prevent the second spoke from the network, except for it directly connected interface to the hub?.

Thanks a million once again for the help

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_q_and_a_item09186a008012dac4.shtml#ten

Note this part...

"The ideal behavior of this command is for EIGRP to start sending EIGRP packets as unicast packets to the specified neighbor, but not stop sending and receiving multicast packets on that interface. Since the command does not behave as intended, the neighbor command should be used carefully, understanding the impact of the command on the network."

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: