Views
Helpful
Replies

7906 Phones not working with CME anymore

Erick Bergquist
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

I have a dozen 7906 Model IP Phones on a CME 4.1 system (12.4(15T)) that used to work fine, and now are not working. All the phones get power, and just cycle with the cisco logo. They are getting a IP Address from the routers DHCP pool which has option 150 set right, etc. I can see this by looking at the show dhcp command on router that the phones have got a new IP address from this pool.

On the IP Phones, they are not getting far enough to get a menu, etc. On power on, the first time through you see the Cisco logo with a square and checkbox in it. Then it sits for a second or so, then just cycles through with another cisco logo and this time a circle with a square/diamond in it, then just keeps repeating that over and over.

I can't seem to break into a menu on the phone at any point by pressing keys, etc as it doesn't seem to be getting that far along.

On the router, if I turn on tftp debugs, I see a request for term06.default every now and then but I'm not sure what device is requesting this because the debugs do not say what IP/mac is doing request.

Is there a way to factory default the phone, or some way to get the phones to start working? Or do I just RMA all 15 phones (hard to believe all of them just went bad).

5 Replies 5

JAMES WEST
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

To factory default the phone -

disconnect the Switch side cable, hold down the * key and plug the cable back in

As the phone goes thru the boot release the * key then enter 123456789*0# - enter 2

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_tech_note09186a00800941bb.shtml#pass

It says hold the # key, but l have always done this with the * key.

HTH

James

Ok, that procedure is for the 7940/7960 though, I will try that again with * on the 7906. Thanks.

this might not help at all but we had 7906 phones connected to a 3COM switch doing that. had to cycle the switch to get it back up. i think there was an issue with vlans, never troubleshooted as the customer replaced with the cisco switches the week after.

These phones are plugged into a 3560 switch that was just replaced and has a good configuration on the ports and port connecting to CME router. If you unplug a 7911 or other model phone that works fine, and put a 7906 on same cable or plug it directly into that switch port the 7906 also does same thing and when you put 7911, other model phone back that model phones works fine again.

the only other thing i can say is download the phone load, setup TFTPD32 (works good), put that load on the tftpd dir, setup DHCP server on the TFTP and plug the phone in. (Obviously do it isolated so you wont be affecting anything else)

other than that, lets hope someone else can help us out.

PS. you did the factory reset right?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: