cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast on specific VLAN's /ports only!!

hks10
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone know how to enable Multicast on specific VLAN's only. I have a 4507 switch which is trunked to a 7206 router where different VLAN's are supported through it(VLAN's are separated at the router using VRF's / dot1Q). I'm trying to figure out how to enable and allow specific VLAN's on the switch for Multicast. Is there a way to enable Multicast for specific VLAN's only???

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Henry,

yes the command syntax allows this.

in global-config:

ip multicast-routing

then on each SVI vlan that should run multicast you do

int vlan X

ip pim sparse-dense-mode

if the L3 in on the c7206

ip multicast-routing

int g0/0.X

ip pim sparse-dense-mode

vlans were the command is not inserted will not be part of the multicast routing topology.

on the switches you need to enable IGMP snooping so that multicast forwarding is optimized within the ports of multicast-enabled vlans.

Be aware that if multicast is needed in a vlan and confined in that vlan the igmp snooping could cause problems if the multicast routing is not enabled for the same vlan (absence of a router acting as an IGMP querier for multicast groups receivers).

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks for the info. I will give this a try.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card