cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicasts from HSRP

cisconoobie
Level 2
Level 2

I am seeing a ton of multicasts on my server interface. These multicasts come from HSRP peers on the same vlan.

My question is, is it possible to filter out these multicasts on the ports connected to servers, becasue they dont really care to hear them and its extra processing on the NICs.

I enabled "ip igmp snooping" on the switch but i can still see the multicasts.

Is there anything I can do, or what is the best practice?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

IGMP snooping does not work with HSRP, simply because it cannot work with reserved addresses(e.g.224.0.0.2/01-00-5e-00-00-02)

Ref:http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a00800b0871.shtml

HTH

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Sparky,

you should see two HSRP hellos directed to IP 224.0.0.2 every 3 seconds with default settings

the 224.0.0.2 is the all routers on segment well known address.

The server NICs should simply discard these frames without processing them because they didn't join this multicast group they are not routers.

If they were broadcast they would be processed.

If the frequency is two every 3 seconds you should be fine.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

I'm using aggressive HSRP timers.

standby 1 timers msec 200 msec 750

These multicasts come in very fast.

Is there any way to filter them properly through IGMP?

Hello Sparky,

you can try to enable multicast routing on the same interfaces.

IGMP snooping to work correctly needs a router that sends IGMP queries: likely the servers will not send IGMP reports for group 224.0.0.2 and this should solve the issue

Hope to help

Giuseppe

So for the HSRP interfaces, I should enable:

ip pim sparse-dense-mode ?

Hello Sparky,

yes and before

ip multicast-routing in global config

Hope to help

Giuseppe

I am still seeing a lot of 224.0.0.2 multicasts on the servers for that vlan that HSRP is running on.

I am using HSRP version1 because version2 is not supported on the 3750G.

Dunno what to do next.

Hi,

IGMP snooping does not work with HSRP, simply because it cannot work with reserved addresses(e.g.224.0.0.2/01-00-5e-00-00-02)

Ref:http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a00800b0871.shtml

HTH

Ouch.. ok..a version2 is not supported by my switch. I will need to use default timers.

Thanks..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card