cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5510 VPN - Use as VPN and firewall

joe.broz
Level 1
Level 1

I purchased an ASA 5510 VPN Edition to replace my Cisco VPN 3005 concentrator. I currently have a Cisco PIX firewall. Looking through the ASA it looks like I can setup this box to be used as a VPN and the firewall. Is this a good idea? My PIX is over 7 years old and probably should be replaced. Should I purchase an additional box, or use one for both? I currently have a windows 2003 network with approximately 170 users, connection to the internet is two T1s.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

Joe,

With ASA5500 series you can use it for both , firewall as well as for IPsec L2L, SSL webvpn , RA server L2TP etc.. in fact the ASA5500 is the migration platform for VPN Remote access since VPN 3ks concentrators have reached end of life.

I would recommend in future if your budget permits it, use another ASA5510 with FO license and provide an Active/Standby architecture.

Reference this link for all variety of features and implementation scenarios so that you can start geting acquainted with ASA code 7.x and above.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/prod_configuration_examples_list.html

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: