Views
Helpful
Replies

capturing encrypted voice traffic

kurtdeneef
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have implemented voice encryption on my Cisco ip phones.

However,i captured the network traffic during a conversation and i don't see rtp (or SRTP)p packets in my capture.

Only a lot of UDP packets and this only during the converstation,so when people actually are speaking.

Anyone who has an idea? Is this correct behaviour?

I should be able to find an SRTP stream or something so i can rebuild the voice stream?

I want to test if the encryption is ok,so i need to hear anything except voice :)

Thanks for some feedback.

Kurt

3 Replies 3

gogasca
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback.

This info seems very usefull...however,i'm using CUCM 6.1 (forgot to mention).

Or does that makes no difference?

From what i understand from the document,is that i only need to put the packet capture mode to batch processing mode (only option in 6.1) and i should be able to see the SRTP packets after my sniffer?

Kurt

more news,in my sniffer,i selected "decode as RTP" and now i see the rtp packets with thier payload type.

If i want to save the (both directions) stream in a .au file,i get the error message "Can't save in a file:saving in au format supported only for alaw/ulaw streams"

This works fine normally when you try to analyse an unencrypted RTP stream.

Any advise?

Thanks,

Kurt

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: