cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

output queue drops

sjamison76
Level 1
Level 1

I just recently cleared the counters on this, and I see this below. Customer states the internet is 'slow'. They have a full 100mbs connection no policy added to interface. I have increased the hold queue as you can see, but still have drops. My question is, why isnt the output queue showing any activity? It still shows 0/150 (size/max) even when its dropping. Shouldnt this number be a percentage or atleast a 150/150 when it starts dropping so you can try to figure out where a value should be?

reliability 255/255, txload 10/255, rxload 1/255

Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 2828

Queueing strategy: fifo

Output queue: 0/150 (size/max)

30 second input rate 438000 bits/sec, 312 packets/sec

30 second output rate 3925000 bits/sec, 466 packets/sec

3 Replies 3

sjamison76
Level 1
Level 1

I got some packet captures from the customer. Im seeing lots of frames with "tcp segment of a reassembled pdu" message follwed by a bunch of 'continuation or non-https traffic" messages.

My initial guess is that its some kind of bursty traffic, that is over running the queue. Anyone have any ideas? He has an ASA5510 plugged into my ME3400 equipment.

I am still plagued with this problem. Hopefully I will have some real answers next week with whats going on. I have a Cisco rep coming into town and should be able to work at this all week.

It appears to be strictly switch related. Going from a 1GIG interface from the core, down to 10mbs seems to be where the output drops are happening on the customers interface. I have moved a all policing/shaping onto the 1GBS core link, and still get drops. Although it is not as bad as it used to be.... I have also reconfigured the Ethernet interface to be 'auto' rather than hard coded so the customer is free to use whatever port speed they want and its rate shaped off another port.

Does anyone else have problems with this ME3400 line from Cisco? Is anyone else seeing the massive output drops?

If not, would love to see a sample config on an Internet link type of setup and a P2P setup config...

I have been given a quasi solution, and a direct answer on the problem. I would rather not post all the details, but you can contact me directly if you are experiencing massive output drops, and how to handle them.

Just as an FYI cisco will have a new hardware revision to the ME3400 lineup in January 2009.

stuart.jamison@cableone.biz