Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgraded router with IOS that's too big

jamesgonzo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've just done something very silly with a Cisco 2620 router and upgraded the router with an IOS I now believe was too big, here is the err:

System Bootstrap, Version 12.1(3r)T2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 2000 by cisco Systems, Inc.

C2600 platform with 49152 Kbytes of main memory

program load complete, entry point: 0x80008000, size: 0xcfdcf8

Self decompressing the image : ###################################################################################################################################################################################################################### [OK]

Smart Init is enabled

smart init is sizing iomem

ID MEMORY_REQ TYPE

000094 0X000B3B80 C2600 Single Fast Ethernet

0X00098670 public buffer pools

0X00211000 public particle pools

TOTAL: 0X0035D1F0

If any of the above Memory Requirements are

"UNKNOWN", you may be using an unsupported

configuration or there is a software problem and

system operation may be compromised.

Rounded IOMEM up to: 3Mb.

Not enough memory in the system for IO memory

IO memory available 4760653 required 3527680

%Software-forced reload

It all worked before. I have tried removing the 2 x WIC-1T cards but no luck.

I upgraded to c2600-ipbasek9-mz.124-21.bin it was on 12.2 before and had to eraze this first.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It appears that your router has 48 MB of memory. Determining the memory requirements of an IOS depends both on the version chosen and the feature set chosen. Since we do not know the details of what you chose, we can not tell whether this version will fit or not. If you downloaded it from the Cisco web site it should have told you the memory requirements as you prepared for the IOS download. What did it say?

The Ethernet should work on the 2600 (and if it does not work then it is a separate issue). Be aware that if you are connecting your PC directly to the router then you need a cross over cable and not straight through.

To use tftpdnld you need to set a number of variables, including the address and subnet mask that the router should use on its interface, the address of the server, if the server is remote what gateway address should the router use. If you get those set correctly then it will just be using TFTP to copy the IOS from the server to the router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes you have loaded an IOS that requires more memory than your router has got. I believe that you have 2 choices:

1) upgrade the router with more memory. (perhaps not very feasible)

2) remove the new IOS and either go back to the IOS that was on it and worked or get a slightly newer IOS that will fit into the available memory.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thing is I can only get to the rommon state and nothing else, am I doomed?

If your router supports tftpdnld from rommon then it would help you to load a new IOS. And if tftpdnld is not supported then worst case you should be able to use xmodem to transfer a new IOS to the router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rommon does look to have tftpdnld, I downloaded a 12.4T IOS for the 2620, think I should I chosen a 12.3T.

I have a tftp server on my laptop, what do I need to do? Will the ethernet work on my 2600?

It appears that your router has 48 MB of memory. Determining the memory requirements of an IOS depends both on the version chosen and the feature set chosen. Since we do not know the details of what you chose, we can not tell whether this version will fit or not. If you downloaded it from the Cisco web site it should have told you the memory requirements as you prepared for the IOS download. What did it say?

The Ethernet should work on the 2600 (and if it does not work then it is a separate issue). Be aware that if you are connecting your PC directly to the router then you need a cross over cable and not straight through.

To use tftpdnld you need to set a number of variables, including the address and subnet mask that the router should use on its interface, the address of the server, if the server is remote what gateway address should the router use. If you get those set correctly then it will just be using TFTP to copy the IOS from the server to the router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I hold my hands up and didn't check properly, I've just tftp'd c2600-i-mz.123-26.bin, what info can I give you to see what the best/latest IOS is I can install, this IOS is just IP. The 2600 is just for a 2mb lease line using the serial.

Looks like it worked though, I'm back in!!!!!, but I still get that error:

System Bootstrap, Version 12.1(3r)T2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 2000 by cisco Systems, Inc.

C2600 platform with 49152 Kbytes of main memory

program load complete, entry point: 0x80008000, size: 0x765238

Self decompressing the image : ################################################# ############################################################################ [OK ]

Smart Init is enabled

smart init is sizing iomem

ID MEMORY_REQ TYPE

000094 0X000B3B80 C2600 Single Fast Ethernet

0X00098670 public buffer pools

0X00211000 public particle pools

TOTAL: 0X0035D1F0

If any of the above Memory Requirements are

configuration or there is a software problem and

system operation may be compromised.

Rounded IOMEM up to: 4Mb.

Using 8 percent iomem. [4Mb/48Mb]

I checked in the Feature Navigator in the Cisco web site and it looks like c2600-i-mz.123-26.bin should fit in your router ok.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks Rick, I did edit my post and just wondered what you thought about that "unknown" memory issue?

merryllem
Level 1
Level 1

here is are the details of the IOS you tried to load

c2600-ipbasek9-mz.124-21.bin

Release Date: 18/Jul/2008

IP BASE

Size: 13303.65 KB

Minimum Memory: DRAM:64MB Flash:16MB

I am confused. You say:

"Looks like it worked though, I'm back in!!!!!, but I still get that error"

but I do not see the error. Your first post had an error in which it said not enough memory for IO. Now it is announcing how much memory it will be using for IO. Looks to me like you are good to go.

I am glad that my responses did help you to resolve your problem. Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your problem was resolved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read a problem and can know that responses were successful in resolving the problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick, I rated this because I had a huge issue that you fixed for me and made me understand my errors.

I've learnt a lot from this and have fixed the problem thanks to you, you fully deserver the 5.0 rating.

Supplying a fix is great but supplying a fix with an explaination (like you do) deservers merit and allows guys me to understand better.

And now I see the part of the message that does clarify what you thought was an error. I suggest that you look very carefully at the first couple of words in the sentence:

"If any of the above Memory Requirements are

configuration"

it is warning that IF any requirements are "UNKNOWN", but all of the requirements in your output had values, so none of them are unknown. And you do not have a problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card