Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-C2960-24TC-L Bug

patricia20
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to configure the GigabitEthernet interface of the WS-C2960 switch to have a full duplex. Unfortunately, there is no option to configure this neither is the speed of that interface. But these options are present in FastEthernet ports. Is there a bug in SW version 12.2(35)SE5 that explains this abnormality?

Thanks!

6 Replies 6

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Gig is full duplex by default and generally do not have to hardcode speed and duplex on a gig port it will negotiate it by itself. What you are seeing is by design.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. That is also my understanding. But how come when I check the status of the interface, the duplex is a-half even though the other port linked to it is configured as full duplex. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Hi,

These details might help, the module inserted in the gig port is GLC-FE-100FX (100BaseFX-FE SFP). And a 100BaseFX on the other link, module type for this is WS-X4124-FX-MT. Do you think this will cause the gig port to be half duplex?

Thanks,

Patricia

On the 2960 switch the "dual purpose" uplinks need to be manually configured with "media-type" to be able to set speed/duplex. Default would not allow setting these 2 attributes.

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

switchport mode trunk

media-type rj45

speed 100

duplex full

end

GigabitEthernet0/1 is down, line protocol is down (notconnect)

Hardware is Gigabit Ethernet, address is

Description: Uplink to Cat01

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000 Kbit, DLY 1000 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set

Keepalive not set

Full-duplex, 100Mb/s, link type is auto, media type is 10/100/1000BaseTX

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_55_se/configuration/guide/swint.html#wp2219831

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I'm trying to configure the GigabitEthernet interface of the WS-C2960 switch to have a full duplex.  Unfortunately, there is no option to configure this neither is the speed of that interface.

It's not a bug.

You cannot configure the speed and duplex setting of an fibre optic SFP port.  Fibre optic SFP will negotiate to FULL Duplex and 1000Base, period.

amikat
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Will you please try to configure "duplex full" interface configuration at the WS-X4124-FX-MT module (other end) as the default setting is "half" for the Cat4000/4500 100-Mbps fiber modules and see if there is any progress.

Best regards,

Antonin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco