Trying to figure out Anchoring - Guest WLAN

Answered Question
Sep 17th, 2008
User Badges:

We have six controllers amoung three main campus's and two remote sites. I have configured a guest WLAN at our main location on two of our controllers (we have two controllers for our main campus)

I would like to configure my other contollers so that a user can connect to the guest WLAN and their traffic is sent to my main controllers, that way they are getting IP's in the VLAN from my main controllers. It looks like the Mobility anchors are my answer but I am finding them very confusing.

To me, it sounds like I create a new WLAN at my remote controllers, go to the advance tab and choose mobility anchors and select my two main controllers that I want my traffic to go to. But to configure a WLAN, I need to create an interface and VLAN to place the WLAN on.

Or is my thinking complete backwards and that I should go to my main controllers, go to mobility anchors and choose my remote controllers from there. My main controllers will then configure my remote controllers for the SSID. I can't do a lot of testing because this is a production system which needs change management and its difficult to test a remote site.

All of my controllers are in the same mobility group

Correct Answer by Scott Fella about 8 years 8 months ago

Well since you have all the controllers in the same mobility group, you are almost done.

Create the guest ssid on the other controller(s) exatly the same as the one in the main campus. The only difference will be that the interface you will assing the ssid on the other wlc's is the management. Then on the ssid on the blue icon, select mobility anchor. This will take you to a different screen... there you will choose the ip of the two wlc's in the main campus.... one at a time and choose Mobility Anchor Create.

That should do it....

Overall Rating: 4 (2 ratings)
Correct Answer
Scott Fella Wed, 09/17/2008 - 18:13
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

Well since you have all the controllers in the same mobility group, you are almost done.

Create the guest ssid on the other controller(s) exatly the same as the one in the main campus. The only difference will be that the interface you will assing the ssid on the other wlc's is the management. Then on the ssid on the blue icon, select mobility anchor. This will take you to a different screen... there you will choose the ip of the two wlc's in the main campus.... one at a time and choose Mobility Anchor Create.

That should do it....

Actions

This Discussion