Views
Helpful
Replies

Backup job failed

subashmbi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

1) I am facing the backup job is failed .

I am attaching the screenshots plus log file also.

2) Data purge is not working. So we have to do manually shut down the daemon and deleting the log then starting the daemon.

Kindly adise me.

17 Replies 17

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It looks like you may have corrupted your NMSROOT\backup\manifest directory. Please post a recursive listing of this directory.

Hi ,

I am attaching the recursive listing directory for backup.

Hi,

Backup failed

-----------------

This has happened after upgrade the DFM and Campus Manager.

I am mentioning the Error numb is (288).

"No database files are avaliable for the installed application".

So it looks like you have no manifest directory. If you have a file system backup of this server, you can restore the manifest directory from there. If you have another server with the same LMS applications installed in the same path as this server (i.e. C:\Program Files\CSCOpx) then you can copy C:\Program Files\CSCOpx\backup\manifest from that server to this server. Else, you will need to completely reinstall LMS to get the manifest directory regenerated.

In the future, you should not use NMSROOT\backup for ANYTHING. This directory is internal to LMS, and not something a user should ever touch.

Hi,

Can u explain the manifest directory.

The manifest directory contains a master list of all available databases, and all files that need to be backed up as part of an LMS backup. Without it, the backup will not run, and none of the database maintenance utilities will work.

Hi,

The manifest directory will create automatically during the installation time.

I can do restore the database as per the below document.

Restoring Data on Windows

-------------------------------------

To restore the data on Windows, make sure you have the correct permissions, and do the following:

Stop all processes by entering the following at the command line:

net stop crmdmgtd

Restore the database by entering:

NMSROOT\bin\perl NMSROOT\bin\restorebackup.pl [-t temporary directory] [-gen generationNumber] [-d backup directory] [-h]

where NMSROOT is the CiscoWorks installation directory. See the previous section for command option descriptions.

To restore the most recent version, enter the following command:

NMSROOT\bin\perl NMSROOT\bin\restorebackup.pl -d backup directory

For example, -d drive:\var\backup\

Once you have a good manifest directory, you can restore the backup using this procedure.

Hi,

I have the database backup in f: drive(f:\LMS Backup\0\).

can i do restoreback form f: drive to NMSroot working directory.

Yes. Note, however, that the backup will not contain the manifest directory.

Hi,

We are using with out manifest directory for last 1 year , we ar doing the backup schedule base daily. we didn,t get any errors.

The issue started last month onwards,after the upgrade DFM and CM.

today i run the script restore-pl. i am getting the error ""no generation file in this back directory"".

kindly advice me , any suggestion for restoring the database.

The backup could not have been running successfully without NMSROOT/backup/manifest. It would have no idea what to backup.

This error means that the directory to which you have pointed restorebackup.pl does not contain the desired generation number. If you have backed up F:\CiscoWorks\backup, there should be a set of numbered directories in there. Specify the backup path as F:\CiscoWorks\backup, then the desired generation number.

Hi,

can u explain me the generation numb.

C:\Program Files\CSCOpx\bin>perl C:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\bin\restorebackup.pl -d F:\

ciscoworks\backup\

********************************************************************************

Restore started at : 2008/10/08 12:27:42

Please see 'C:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\log\restorebackup.log' for status.

ERROR: Cannot find the generation in the backup directory [F:\ciscoworks\backup\

].

Verify the backup directory and the generation

C:\Program Files\CSCOpx\bin>

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco