IVR Prompts Recording- noise after converting to Cisco format

Unanswered Question
Sep 18th, 2008

Hi,

We got some IVR rompts recorded by a professional vendor who recorded the prompt in the following format:

bit rate=705kbps

Audio Samle Size=16bit

Channels=1(mono)

Audio Samle Rate=44kHz

Audio format=PCM

Since this format is not supported by cisco, I had to convert it to cisco format using Windows XP Sound Recorder.then the format is the following after conversion:

bit rate=64kbps

Audio Samle Size=8bit

Channels=1(mono)

Audio Samle Rate=8kHz

Audio format=CCITT u-law

But after conversion I noticed the change in clarity, and can hear a hissing noise while playing this prompts.

Q 1)Can I get rid of the disturbance/hissing noise by using some other player/convertor using some other utility for conversion?

Q 2)What if I ask the vendor to record again dirctly in 8kHz, 8bit mono..Will this make any difference in clarity , since ultimately the result is 8 kHZ 8 bit mono?

I want to get avoid getting back to the vendor...

Pls advise..

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
david.macias Thu, 09/18/2008 - 09:23

Do not use Windows prompt recorder to convert it. Use something like sound forge, audacity, or goldwave.

david

ra_jeshkalra_2 Thu, 09/18/2008 - 09:32

Sorry, now trying audacity,, can you tell me which options to use for conversion?

ra_jeshkalra_2 Sat, 09/20/2008 - 13:09

Hi,

Will the sound quality be better if the prompts are recorded directly in :

bit rate=64kbps

Audio Samle Size=8bit

Channels=1(mono)

Audio Samle Rate=8kHz

Audio format=CCITT u-law

than converting from the following:

bit rate=705kbps

Audio Samle Size=16bit

Channels=1(mono)

Audio Samle Rate=44kHz

Audio format=PCM

or technically this makes no diffrence?

Thanks

david.macias Sat, 09/20/2008 - 14:19

recording them directly will be the best, but honestly it might sound very similar if you just convert them.

david

ra_jeshkalra_2 Sun, 09/21/2008 - 18:14

Friends,

What is your experience with this kind of a problem in the past.

1)When you give order to the vendor for recording IVR prompts to be used for IPCCX, in which format do you ask the vendor to record and how is the quality after that?

2)By any change on the IPCCX server, can we increase the playing quality to a higher format(may be somewhere in the registry or something like that).

Thanks

Actions

This Discussion