cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aggressive Load-balancing feasible?

jpeterson6
Level 2
Level 2

I am experiencing some issues with laptops in a lab not being able to associate properly.

I'm in a university environment with 132 APs at the current time.

The lab in question is in a building with 6 APs total: 4 on the 2nd floor, 2 on the 1st floor. The lab itself is located on the 2nd floor close to the central point of the 4 APs. They plan to use 30 laptops at once via wireless.

There are also many other areas on campus that have a focused load (common student areas for example).

For the lab specifically, would this be a viable condition to enable load-balancing? I'm thinking a client window of 10 or 12 should work.

All 6 APs can see each other, and all the 2nd floor APs can see at least 3 other APs with -70dBm or more (stronger).

My current threshold is set to -65dBm, but I will be changing that to -70 to meet current recommendations.

Also, what is considered 'high density' in terms of LWAPP deployments? Is there a certain number of 'visible' APs to aim fo r(from each AP's point of view)?

Finally, will changing the threshold and enabling load-balancing require controller reboots, or can I just apply them on the fly?

Thanks.

Edit: My WLCs (1x WiSM blade) are on version 4.2.61.0.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can enable aggressive load balancing and change the thresholds on the fly. These will not require you to reboot the wlc. High density can vary depending on the applications the users are using. Cisco recommends around 15 to 20 per access point, but that is not a hard number. Aggressive load balancing can help or not help, it is something you have to enable and see how the users are affected by the change.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can enable aggressive load balancing and change the thresholds on the fly. These will not require you to reboot the wlc. High density can vary depending on the applications the users are using. Cisco recommends around 15 to 20 per access point, but that is not a hard number. Aggressive load balancing can help or not help, it is something you have to enable and see how the users are affected by the change.

-Scott

Here is a good doc:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_tech_note09186a00809c2fc3.shtml

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card