didyap Wed, 09/24/2008 - 12:52
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

Yes you can use the L3 switch.

Istvan_Rabai Sun, 10/05/2008 - 19:59
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

Hi Just,

If your connection to the HQ is and Ethernet type connection then functionally you can use a multilayer switch.

But I suppose your 1841 router has some kind of WAN connection to the HQ.

Lower level multilayer switches do not have a WAN interface so you cannot use them for this purpose.

In addition, these multiayer switches generally do not have IPSec VPN, Firewall and IPS features that may be useful on WAN connections over a service provider or the Internet.

The higher level 6500 switches may have WAN cards and the mentioned security features could be used, but I think costwise this would very much overshoot the solution you are looking for.




This Discussion