Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 4 to 5 Upgrade, Exchange 2003 - SP2 Question

Client has not upgraded to SP2 on Exchange 2003 and want to know the ramifications of running Unity 5 on SP1.

5 Replies 5

ranpierce
Level 6
Level 6

I am pretty sure that sp2 needs to be there even for older versoins.

Exchange 2003 SP1

Microsoft support for SP1 ended January 9th, 2007. No patch will be available. Customers are instructed to upgrade each Exchange server to SP2 and then apply SP2 patch.

This is one example why:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/ts/fn/620/fn62673.html

Randy

Tray Stoutmeyer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you upgrade Exchange 2003 to sp2, you need to run the Exchange 2003 sp2 on the Unity to update the Exchange tools or it could break things. Other than that, having the Unity OS on 2003 SP1 shouldn't be an issue.

Tray

I probably will work fine but that is not the question. MS will not support sp1.

Tray should now, he is Cisco TAC.

Tray is right, sp2 does need to be put on the Unity aslo even if it is only tools installed.

SP2 is the best way to go.

Randy

Thanks all for the replies. I know the "Right thing to do" is to go with SP2, however the customer wasn't prepared to do the patch last night. TAC told me we should be able to get away without it for the short term, but should make plans (which we did) to get it applied. THey also said that SP2 can safely be applied to Unity (Exchange Tools Only) and leave Exchange at SP1 as SP2 (Tools) is backward compatible.

Thanks again, and regards,

Brian

Cool, the only thing is unless something is different now than I worked at TAC, we always told people that all exchange servers and Unity servers had to have the same SP installed.

Tray works at Cisco and he said the same thing so I thing it is still the same.

There can be issues with voicemail if the SPs are different.

One of the first questions will be are all of the sps the same.

Just trying to help and hope this does.

Randy