cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fax solutions

billkemmer
Level 1
Level 1

I am in the process of provisioning a system from a customer and got an interesting request. Here is the scenario:

An employee has 1 DID phone number. If that number is dialed, somehow the system knows if it is a phone call (rings the phone) or a fax (sends to the fax server to eventually end up in outlook). The prospective customer says he has heard of other PBXs that do this, and I'm trying to figure out a solution through CUCM. I've looked into Cisco Fax server and xmedious, but cannot find detail on this functionality. Does anyone have any insight into whether this is possible? Thanks.

2 Replies 2

stuart.pannell
Level 1
Level 1

I know this is possible with T37 and Cisco Unity

pmuller
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, this is called Fax tone detection. It is not 100% accurate as it relies on a TCL script to auto-detect the FAX "handshake" CNG tone. Some older fax machines do not emit this tone and some fax machines may not emit it within the time window that the TCL script is programmed to "listen" to the line.

This means that some faxes will be routed to voicemail or not completed.

XMedius would be the best company to further explore this.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: