Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing Lab Setup

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

Hey all,

I'm trying to create a routing/CCIE lab, and I know that the traditional method for setting this up is with a 2511 router and a couple OCTAL cables:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_configuration_example09186a008014f8e7.shtml

I was wondering whether there's a more updated method of doing this, maybe a network module for a 2600/2800 that actually terminates into RJ45s (instead of DB25s)? Anyone know whether a more modern setup is available?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

don-sullivan
Level 1
Level 1

The 2600/2800 series routers can use an NM-16A (16 port) or NM-32A (32 port) asynchronous network module. The setup still uses the octal cable.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

don-sullivan
Level 1
Level 1

The 2600/2800 series routers can use an NM-16A (16 port) or NM-32A (32 port) asynchronous network module. The setup still uses the octal cable.

mark.cronin
Level 2
Level 2

Jeff

Have you tried dynamips / dynagen?

Its like a VM product for Cisco routers, no need for hardware and the software is free.

You will need a PC with at least the following

Intel Quad 6600

4 Gig RAM

Vista 64bit or Linux 64bit

with my system I can run 16 routers

a mix of 7200's and 3600's you can simulate

switch functionality with Switch modules for

the routers.

Thanks Don, that's exactly what I've been looking for.

Mark, we're looking for a hardware solution because we have plenty of spare 2600 routers for use. I'll definitely look into your suggestion, though, since it's a free solution. Thanks for the thoughts!

Jeff

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card