Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing Lab Setup

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

Hey all,

I'm trying to create a routing/CCIE lab, and I know that the traditional method for setting this up is with a 2511 router and a couple OCTAL cables:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_configuration_example09186a008014f8e7.shtml

I was wondering whether there's a more updated method of doing this, maybe a network module for a 2600/2800 that actually terminates into RJ45s (instead of DB25s)? Anyone know whether a more modern setup is available?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

don-sullivan
Level 1
Level 1

The 2600/2800 series routers can use an NM-16A (16 port) or NM-32A (32 port) asynchronous network module. The setup still uses the octal cable.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

don-sullivan
Level 1
Level 1

The 2600/2800 series routers can use an NM-16A (16 port) or NM-32A (32 port) asynchronous network module. The setup still uses the octal cable.

mark.cronin
Level 2
Level 2

Jeff

Have you tried dynamips / dynagen?

Its like a VM product for Cisco routers, no need for hardware and the software is free.

You will need a PC with at least the following

Intel Quad 6600

4 Gig RAM

Vista 64bit or Linux 64bit

with my system I can run 16 routers

a mix of 7200's and 3600's you can simulate

switch functionality with Switch modules for

the routers.

Thanks Don, that's exactly what I've been looking for.

Mark, we're looking for a hardware solution because we have plenty of spare 2600 routers for use. I'll definitely look into your suggestion, though, since it's a free solution. Thanks for the thoughts!

Jeff

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: