Good simulator

Unanswered Question
Sep 19th, 2008

Hey All,

I am currently studying for my CCNA and was wondering what simulators where worth the money. I don't have much to spend (like the Boson 249 dollars is to much) but I also am afraid of getting something they might be like a brain-dump thing. I do not want to cheat...what is there out there for simulators.

Thanks.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
shikamarunara Wed, 09/24/2008 - 14:15

Hi,

Buy some end-of-life switches and routers on ebay. They're so cheap that you can probably get the pieces you need for roughly the same cost of an emulator. I bought the Boson Netsim package years ago when I was studying for the CCNA and CCNP, there's no substitute for real equipment.

-Shikamaru

RicheeJJJ_2 Tue, 10/07/2008 - 05:54

I agree with Shikamaru. There's no comparison to real equipment.

All you would need is 2x2500 routers (going at $10 each now). And 2x2900XL switches which sell for $15-$30. Then is the lifelong hunt for cables and adapters but hey, getting intimate knowledge with your equipment never hurts for an exam.

But if you insist on a simulator. GNS3 is the best, and its free, but you need to get an IOS.

mohankuderu Mon, 10/06/2008 - 21:59

hi cjinfantino

search for GNS3 software in the internet and cisco IOS too, with this you can boot the cisco ios images in your desktop, with 2-4 gb ram.

Actions

This Discussion