ACE Web Application Firewall Training ?

Unanswered Question
Sep 19th, 2008

I need to get up to speed on the ACE Web Application Firewall. While I see plenty of training for the ACE, I can't find ANY training for the Web Application Firewall. Does anyone know of any courses for design, installation, or configuration of the firewall. Specifically, I need to use the PCI compliance components (SQL Injection, etc).

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jim_berlow Thu, 09/25/2008 - 15:01

Anyone? Anyone have any info on training for the Web Application Firewall? Online, instructor lead? Other?

dwgray0422 Mon, 09/29/2008 - 04:39

I spent the better part of last week talking to cisco and various training partners about ACE training. There seems to be a lack of options available. I think I am going to take Global Knowledge ACEDES course: Designing a Data Center Application Infrastructure with the Cisco ACE Family.

It covers WAF but does not necessarily focus on it.

dwgray0422 Wed, 10/15/2008 - 05:16

Did you ever find info for the WAF?

Apparently there are not alot of users with background on these devices.

jim_berlow Wed, 10/15/2008 - 06:43

I've had no luck finding a WAF class. Nearly every training partner that I have talked to has expressed interest in developing a class with Cisco, but they have said that first Cisco needs to desire a class on the product.

Post back here if you learn of a class - I am still actively seeking one.

jim_berlow Fri, 10/24/2008 - 13:15

I talked with an instructor for the XML class. What he has told me is that the class is losely written on the "Getting Started" guide. And he has told me that if you complete that guide you will not learn much more by taking the course.

stephenshaw Tue, 10/28/2008 - 06:46

part of the issue is that when you reach Application Layer 7, you've entered the realm of the developers - this is their expertise.

It's rare to find an IT resource with the necessary experience in both application development and network design - perhaps this is the reason that Cisco have not developed a course - who do they market to? The IT staff in networking or in development??

dwgray0422 Mon, 11/03/2008 - 06:16

Application networking has been around for some time now; more and more of the infrastructure is application aware. Gone are the days when a network Engineer only needed to know layers 1 - 3. Cisco is manufacturing a product. I would assume they would know their target market for a product, and have set up a support model. Part of that support model would be technical training for implementation. I work as part of a team of 4 Network Engineers, we support Routing and Switching, VoIP, Videoconferencing, Webcasting, Firewalls, IPS, Content Load Balancing, Global Site Selection, SAN/NAS, wireless ...

From other projects I've been on, this seems to be fairly common. While Cisco has been excellent in supporting routing and switching, it seems that in other areas, especially content networking and IDP, the support is not nearly as robust.

dwgray0422 Wed, 11/19/2008 - 04:52

I just returned from the ACESM course. My instructor was tapped to teach the ACE XML course but declined because he was not familiar with the product. He said from the info presented to him, the course was not very technical and geared more towards partner resales than implementation and management of the device.

This Discussion