Views
Helpful
Replies

Router question

willemvwyk
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I am looking at the Cisco 38xx series router with an HWIC 1GE card connection. However I would like to know if this card gives true 1Gig speed over the ethernet or whether the 1Gig throughput will be downgraded due to the card's bus speed?

I have been reading on Cisco's website about this card but nowhere can I find any indication of them showing the true throughput.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

4 Replies 4

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

No you wouldn't get true 1Gig throughput

The 38xx platform has a throughput for 179.Mbps (3825) or 356 Mbps (3845). THe statistic however are based on 64 byte packets. The throughput would increase for larger packet sizes but you would not get true 1Gbps

Narayan

Hello Narayan.

Thank you for the help. I forgot to ask, does what you said above also apply to ASA devices and Catalysts?

Thanks

wvw

Different platforms & devices (routers, firewalls, L3 switches - sups, etc.) are rated differently. Best to verify with each router/platform/chassis/module on all equipment.

Don't have information on hand for ASAs but for Catalyst switches see attachement for their performance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco