cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS TE: Fastreroute traffic switching to primary tunnel

javiercastro
Level 1
Level 1

I have the following question regarding MPLS-TE fastreroute.

In my scenario I have Fastreroute working perfectly, when the protected link fails traffic gets switched to the backup tunnel and when the link gets up traffic comes back to the primary tunnel. The question is... is it possible to delay the return of traffic to the primary tunnel after the protected link is up again? or even if is it possible to manually switch traffic back to the primary tunnel?

Many thanks for your support.

6 Replies 6

sultan-shaikh
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

There is a command to do this "mpls traffic-eng tunnels reoptimize timers frequency", if you set this timer to 0 it will never reoptimize the Tunnels even after Primary link is up. The default reoptimization timer is 3600 seconds, or one hour.

You can use "mpls traffic-engineering reoptimize" to reoptimize manually. You can either do all at once or select tunnel at a time.

Hope this was your query...

Edit:

You can use "mpls traffic-eng reoptimize" to reoptimize manually. :-)

Thanks

Cheers

~sultan

If that is true, that is precisely what I am looking for.

Many thanks!

Hi Javier,

It works for me (7600 platform), so it should for you too !!

Please let us know how it goes...

Cheers

~sultan

Sultan,

I tried your solution in my dynamibs simulation scenario before trying it in production network.

At least in the simulation, the routers keep switching traffic back to the primary tunnel after fixing the link failure.

I don't know if reoptimization influences Fastreroute operation, is that what you have tested in your network? or is it only a tunnel reoptimization scenario that you were using?

Hi Javier,

As I understood earlier, you wanted to reoptimize the tunnels, and considering that fast reroute happens over tunnels that would do the trick, infact I too do the same... unless I am missing something...

Let me see if I too can check something in my lab related to your query...

Cheers

~sultan

Sultan,

It is not a case of sheer reoptimization, eventhough that switching traffic with fastreroute involves that concept. In fact, what i want to do is work with fastreroute in what is called "non-revertive mode", not switching back to the primary tunnel once a failed link have been fixed. I have been looking for that configuration in the CCO but I still can not find it.

Is that what you have been using? (fastreroute or just reoptimization)

Many thanks,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: