Custom Backgrounds in UCM 6.0

Answered Question
Sep 21st, 2008
User Badges:

According to the documentation I'm reading in order to change backgrounds on IP phones in Version 6.0 you need to change the list.xml file found in the /Desktops/320x212x16directory. When I SSH to the UCM 6.0 and do a file list no such file or directory exists. Does this mean I have to create one and upload it into the TFTP directory? I found DistinctiveRingList.xml but no list.xml. When I issue a show workingdir to see what the present working directory for TFTP is I see "tftp : <not set, using default path>" When you look in the OS Administration (GUI) you can see Ringlist.xml. Maybe this document is referring to a directory in a Windows version of CallManager?

Correct Answer by jbarcena about 8 years 8 months ago

Try with this one.

You only need the following:

FTP:Desktops/320x212x16/TN-Flower.png"

URL="TFTP:Desktops/320x212x16/Flower.png"/>

On a notepad and save it as List.xml

Correct Answer by Jaime Valencia about 8 years 8 months ago

exactly, using the TFTP GUI on the OS admin page you create the folders and upload the files in there, then restart TFTP. You need to do this on all TFTP servers to which phones are pointing to if you want the backgrounds to be available.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Overall Rating: 5 (5 ratings)
kking2008 Mon, 09/22/2008 - 13:28
User Badges:

I have always had to add that file manually when doing a background upload to 6.x. You can use the 4.x file though, the format is the same.

I am attaching one that needs to be in the TFTP directory. Just modify it with your background names and thumbnail names.

Attachment: 
Jaime Valencia Mon, 09/22/2008 - 15:15
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Hall of Fame,

folders and files ALWAYS need to be created, they're not in there by default in any version. please notice 4.x and 6.x instructions are not the same so make sure you follow the right set of instructions, also image size varies between models so also follow the right model guide

HTH

java

mstafford Mon, 09/22/2008 - 18:26
User Badges:

Thanks so much for the file. But I'm a bit confused. Your example shows the TFTP:Desktops/320x212x12/ directory - but this doesn't seem to exist on our server. At least I'm not able to view the directory tree to find it. When I issue a show workingdir to see what the present working directory for TFTP is it shows "tftp : .

Should I modify your example to show just the

"tftp :" directory?

Jaime Valencia Tue, 09/23/2008 - 06:28
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Hall of Fame,

maybe you missed my post:

--->>>>folders and files ALWAYS need to be created, they're not in there by default in any version<<<<------.

please notice 4.x and 6.x instructions are not the same so make sure you follow the right set of instructions, also image size varies between models so also follow the right model guide

HTH

java

mstafford Tue, 09/23/2008 - 07:12
User Badges:

Oh! So I will have to create the TFTP:Desktops/320x212x12 sub-directory via the GUI and then put both the list.xml and image files in there. THanks! As you suggest, I'll verify the documentation is for 6.x.

Correct Answer
Jaime Valencia Tue, 09/23/2008 - 07:26
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Hall of Fame,

exactly, using the TFTP GUI on the OS admin page you create the folders and upload the files in there, then restart TFTP. You need to do this on all TFTP servers to which phones are pointing to if you want the backgrounds to be available.

HTH

java

mstafford Tue, 09/23/2008 - 17:21
User Badges:

Thanks for clarifying this. You're a gentleman and a scholar! (Someday I may have enough CallManager experience to return the favor for someone else on the forum.)

jbarcena Wed, 09/24/2008 - 13:14
User Badges:
  • Red, 2250 points or more

Keep in mind that by just uploading the file to Desktops/320x212x12/ will create the folder, you do not need to create it before uploading the file.

HTH

//Jorge

mstafford Thu, 09/25/2008 - 06:41
User Badges:

Yes. That's what we're observing. I downloaded a PNG image file from the Internet and, using the Windows Paint application resized it to the 320x212 pixel dimensions. Then reduced that by 25% to obtain a thumbnail image. I placed both in the new /Desktops/320x212x16 directory along with the list.xml (which was modified in Word and saved as an xml) then stopped and restarted the TFTP service. When we try going to settings/user preference/backgrounds this new image isn't available. Would you mind looking at the List.xml file to see if there's something missing?

Attachment: 
mstafford Fri, 09/26/2008 - 09:23
User Badges:

That worked! Thanks again for all your help.

As good as the Cisco documentation is, it sometimes isn't quite adequate. Your clear explanation really helped!!

jbarcena Fri, 09/26/2008 - 09:37
User Badges:
  • Red, 2250 points or more

Great !!

If you wish to add more images, just upload it again to the same folder if it is for the same IP Phone model and then create a new List.xml file which will include the new file names.

Also keep in mind (as the Cisco Doc says) that if you perform an upgrade the List.xml file will be replaced by the default one, so keep a copy that way you can upload your file after the upgrade.

Actions

This Discussion