Views
Helpful
Replies

Exchange 2000 Server Mailbox Capacity

s.casper_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

Running Unity 4.05 with Failover, Exchange 2000 offbox, Voice Mail only config. My Exchange boxes are DL380 G4's with dual cpu with a lot of disk space left. Wondering how many exchange mailboxes these servers will support before I need to add new Exchange servers. I currently have about 2000 users on each server and my exchange data base runs about 8 - 9 gb on each server. These servers also act as the DC/GC's for the Unity standalone AD domain. I am having no issues but need to plan for the future. I expect to be upgrading to Unity 7 next year.

Thanks!

Steve

3 Replies 3

tim.giles
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Are you using Enterprise or Standard?

Microsoft Exchange 2000 Enterprise Server:

• Database size is limited only by hardware (with a maximum size of 16 terabytes).

• Up to four storage groups can be created on server.

• Up to five information stores can exist in each storage group.

• One mailbox store database and one public folder store database that can be accessed by using MAPI and Outlook Web Access

• Up to four more public folder store databases that are only accessible programmatically

• Maximum 16-gigabyte (GB) database limit per database

Note Individual database size is the combined size of the .edb file and the .stm file for that database.

The limitations to Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server Standard Edition include:

• Four storage groups can be created on a server.

• One mailbox store database and one public folder store database that can be accessed by using MAPI and Outlook Web Access

• Up to four more public folder store databases that are only accessible programmatically

• Maximum 16-gigabyte (GB) database limit per database

You could always think about upgrading to 2003 or even 2007. I don't know if there's a limit on the mailbox numbers to be honest (I did an exchange course ages ago and can't remember the exact details) but think it runs into the tens of thousands..

Please rate useful posts...

culittle
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I would rely on the Plaform Overlay to determine the maximum number of users.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6789/ps5745/ps2237/product_data_sheet0900aecd802132ef.pdf

Not seen that before, thanks

..5*! ;0)