cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Option 43 should pointo to interface management or AP-Manager?

guibarati
Level 4
Level 4

Two questions.

The documents for DHCP option 43 says to use the IP of Management interface of controller, but in controllers documentation it says that manager interface can only reply for the local broadcast request from a local AP, and the AP-Manager should be used to controll remote APs, and in option 43 this IP (whatever it is) should be in HEX.

Question1 - Which ip to use, manager or AP-Manager

Question2- In which field of DHCP server should I put the value in HEX? The Windows 2k server have field Binary and ASCCI (no HEX field to be filled) so it goes as ascci or bin?

Thanks!

12 Replies 12

guibarati
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks, from that I suppose the IP should be of the Management interface.

Now, anyone knows about where does it goes the IP in DHCP option 43? Does it goes as ASCCI or as Binary?

I think all your questions will have answered in the below url:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00808714fe.shtml

HTH>

I have looked at this link already, the point is, for AP 1000 series the IP goes in decimal in option 43, and this is the example in this link, but i'm using 1200 series which must receive the IP in HEX format. And this link does not have an example of that, I dont know if this HEX should go under ASCCI or under binary in the configuration.

Do you have a Cisco or Windows DHCP server?

Windows 2000 DHCP server

What AP do you have?

It's a 1232 access point

Yea, i have read, what happens is:

This example shows the configuration for an AP 1000 series, which uses the controller IP as decimal and that is OK.

But in this same link it says: for AP 1200 series you must inform the controller's IP in HEX format in option 43. And my question is, this HEX IP goes under Binary or under ASCCI?? And this is not on this link.

Have you actually tried the process outlined here:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00808714fe.shtml#p2

I suggest you try it.

HTH>

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: