cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SUP720 Redundancy Configuration Help Please

brobertson
Level 1
Level 1

We want to config 2 6506-E Sup720 MSFC3 with redudant supervisors in the event one fails. I have read the documents regarding SSO but still am not sure how to configure. I have configured both sups with the same configuration and trunked via ethernet cable from the supervisor uplink port. When I do a sh redundancy states command i receive the following

my state = 13 -ACTIVE

peer state = 1 -DISABLED

Mode = Simplex

Unit = Primary

Unit ID = 5

Redundancy Mode (Operational) = sso

Redundancy Mode (Configured) = sso

Redundancy State = Non Redundant

Maintenance Mode = Disabled

Communications = Down Reason: Simplex mode

Any help/guidance would be much apprecitaed. Learning as I go working on these LAN switches.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Brian,

What you are trying to cannot be done with the equipment you currently have. SSO redundancy is for supervisor redundancy within the same chassis. There is VSS that will do what you want as shown in the diagram. Here's a link for that.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps9336/prod_white_paper0900aecd806ee2ed.html

HTH,

Mark

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

What commands are you using for SSO? There is no need to have a patch cable between the supervisors for SSO redundancy. Below is a working example of how to configure SSO. Copy this into the primary supervisor and it will reload the second and SSO should work.

redundancy

mode sso

main-cpu

auto-sync standard

HTH,

Mark

Thanks for the reply Mark, I will have to apologize for my earlier description. We have 2 seperate chassis with one SUP720(3) in each. We are planning on running redundant links from the servers and access switches to each chassis. Currently there is a single GE connection from the RJ45 connection on each supervisor. I am trying to determine the best way to link the supervisors in an active/standby configuration.

Brian,

What you are trying to cannot be done with the equipment you currently have. SSO redundancy is for supervisor redundancy within the same chassis. There is VSS that will do what you want as shown in the diagram. Here's a link for that.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps9336/prod_white_paper0900aecd806ee2ed.html

HTH,

Mark

Thanks again for the info Mark. I will find another method of getting the supervisors to work in a redundant configuration.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card