Views
Helpful
Replies

7600 with ES-20 for an BGP peering Internet GW

thedinuka
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We are planning to use a 7606S with RSP720-3CXL as an internet gateway router which would be peering with at least 3 other ISPs. Here is my port requirement.

at least 6 1000Base-T ports

at least 6 100Base-T ports

at least 6 1000Base-SX (fiber SFP) ports

I've looked at the line card options, and thought that ES-20 (7600-ES20-GE3CXL) would do the job ideally.

What do you think ?

Also there is a license associated for that card for IPv6/MVPN/Layer 3 IP/MPLS VPN.

If I do not buy that, can I proceed with my planned setup ?

Many thanks for any help that you can provide.

PS: I posted this in the MPLS section only cause I thought guys doing MPLS would be very familiar with my problem.

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you planning to put all of your connections into 1 blade in one router?

Since you are connecting to 3 different service providers, I would put each service provider in a different line card.

And a better solution would be to split the connections between multiple routes (if funding available)

Just my 0.2 cents

Reza

funding would be the major issue here. If available , surely I would put each SP in a different line card, But in that case, I wouldn't buy the ES-20 cards as that would be a waste. I would rather buy SIP/SPAs.

in any case thanks for your input. You wouldn't have any idea on the ES-20 suitability for this and the license issue would you ?

BR

Hi

I would rather go for two 760x with

RSP-720-10GE with WS-X6724-SFP

interconnect between switches 10Gbit

Not verified but assume these two routers to be less expensive than one router with ES20 -GE3CXL

I would not use ES20 due to high cost related to 3CXL.

Jon

But the WS-67xx cards are of LAN type right? they do not fit in an environment where you would be connecting to ISP s through those.

Why not?

They can be used as routed ports. The only difference with ES-20 is that with them you cannot do VPLS and some advanced QoS things.

Correct.

Our company have been using two 7604/sup720-3BXL/WS-X6704-10GE as peering router for several years.

Connected to transit (1G), Private peerings (1G) and national IX (1G). total 60-80 peers on each router.

You don't ned MPLS, VPLS or advanced QoS on a peering router.

Unless your intention are Multicast MSDP or MPLS Option 10a-b-c peerings.

Get a qoute og ES20 with MPLS licence - believe its about US$80.000

Jon