cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUPC Cannot Add Users - Button Grayed Out

mwadam
Level 1
Level 1

I have installed Presence 6.03 and CUPC 7.01. Using the IM Phone service, I can add contacts and they show up in the CUPC contacts list. When I try to add contacts using CUPC, the Add button is grayed out. We are not using LDAP. I have done this before with version 7.0 beta, so I would assume this is possible with 6.03. I saw a thread on the forum that eluded to an option that would disable the ability to add contacts using CUPC, but cannot find anything to support this. Any ideas on why the Add button is grayed out?

Thanks!!!

Adam

6 Replies 6

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The only way you can add contacts is to have an LDAP Profile for the CUPC subscriber setup. If you have no LDAP profile, you will not be able to add contacts.

So without LDAP, CUPC is semi-useless then, with the exception of adding contacts via the phone. The only thing that confuses me is why was I able to add contacts with Presence 7.0 beta? And then again, maybe it was a beta thing or next version thing.

Thanks for your reply!!!

Adam

I have not played around with 7 yet. CUPC is not quite useless. It can be used as a SIP phone or remote call control on your desk phone. Not all companies will use the IM piece of the CUPC and just use those features. But it's only about a 2 minute step to create an LDAP profile for the CUPC subscriber and they can then add in contacts from the LDAP. They cant however add in outside contacts.

I believe in CUPS 7, they added or are going to add federation. With federation, you should have the ablity to add in outside contacts, hence should not require LDAP.

CUPS 7 did have the Federation option you refer to. Maybe this is what allowed me to manually add contacts without having an LDAP integration. I have queried Cisco to see if we are on the right track. As for the quick LDAP integration, I am installing this is a lab environment for the customer, and his only LDAP would be the production AD. I prefer not to integrate an application from the lab to his production AD, so for now we will use CUPC as is.

Thanks!!!

Adam

You really are not "integrating" into their production remember, you are simply making a request into their LDAP environment for the directory. It will have no impact on their production environment other than LDAP lookups. It's all Read Only from CUPS/CUPC for this process to work.

Another option, if you have Unity Voicemail only, you can use that server for your LDAP lookup for testing purposes.

Good luck!

Just spoke with Cisco. With CUPS 6, to add contacts without an LDAP integration, you browse to the ccmuser page of the Presence server. The contact must already have Presence capability assignments in CCM to be able to add them as a contact. With CUPS 7, the Federation option gives you the ability to add off-net contacts.

Adam

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: