Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

spoofed email address

How do I prevent someone from spoofing my email address back to my domain?

6 Replies 6

kluu_ironport
Level 2
Level 2

You can create an incoming content filter that detects if the Envelope Sender is from your domain and then the action can be to quarantine it to the "Policy" quarantine.

The filter will look like this:

Filter Name: Send-spoofed-domains-to-Policy-quarantine

Conditions:
mail-from == "@yourdomain.com$"

Actions:
quarantine ("Policy")

Once you've created the incoming content filter, go to "Mail Policies > Incoming Mail Policies". Click on the "Content filter" for the Default policy and enable the filter.

So, what this will do is detect if the FROM address is coming from your domain and if so, send it to the Policy quarantine(Monitor > Quarantine) so that the administrator can inspect it at a later time and release them if needed.

How do I prevent someone from spoofing my email address back to my domain?

arnaudbesnard
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

The problem of this previous solution is that the size of policy quarantine is very small. And a lot of email spoofing are detected. For me there is no sense to stock invalid email.

You can enable your domain in the part "Exception table" and you can customize the sending answer after detecting spoof domain. You can choose also do not send a feedback to sender server.

I think that this procedure is more stable and none effects appear on the treatment of appliance.

buzz_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

for a small amount of domains its possible to make some rules
in Content Filter.
But if you have many Incoming Policies with couple of hundred Domains
to Manage it will be difficult.

we have same problem.

Buzz

Donald Nash
Level 3
Level 3

But if you have many Incoming Policies with couple of hundred Domains to Manage it will be difficult.

You can hold the list of your own domains in either a content dictionary or an LDAP directory. Either way will prevent you from having to modify the content filter each time you need to change the list.

This is what I mean by spoof email, for example, lets say someone is using my email address to send to someone else and I would get an undelivered from the mail deivery system or administrator.

See below:

Mail Delivery System [mailto:MAILER-DAEMON@mx1.dvknet.ru]
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 2:47 PM
To: Johndoe@abc.com
Subject: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender

This is the mail system at host mx1.dvknet.ru.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own text from the attached returned message.

I never sent an email to mx1.dvknet.ru.

How do i prevent this or block it on the IronPort?

kluu_ironport
Level 2
Level 2

Sounds like you would benefit from the "bounce verification" feature of the AsyncOS.

Go to the Support Portal and download a copy of the AsyncOS Advanced User Guide. Search for "IRONPORT BOUNCE VERIFICATION" and it will explain this feature in more detail.

To use bounce verification, you'll need to make sure outbound messages going to the Internet go through the IronPort appliance. This is needed so that the IronPort can "stamp" the outgoing message so that it will know that it was the system that delivered the message. Then, when bounce message comes back, the IronPort will look for that stamp.

If it finds the stamp on the bounce message, then it'll know it was the original sender of the message.

If there's no stamp, then it's a fake bounce and you can act accordingly for a fake bounce. The Advanced User Guide goes into more detail.

Let me know if this feature would help you.

-kevin

This is what I mean by spoof email, for example, lets say someone is using my email address to send to someone else and I would get an undelivered from the mail deivery system or administrator.

See below:

Mail Delivery System [mailto:MAILER-DAEMON@mx1.dvknet.ru]
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 2:47 PM
To: Johndoe@abc.com
Subject: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender

This is the mail system at host mx1.dvknet.ru.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own text from the attached returned message.

I never sent an email to mx1.dvknet.ru.

How do i prevent this or block it on the IronPort?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: