Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 4400 Series- Repeater Mode

muratg777
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have an 4400 series wireless lan controller. I want to use and AP (IOS Based) as a repeater from LWAPP based AP. I have configured an 1131 AP as a repeater and see that it is associated with LWAPP AP. But it does not repeate SSIDs (2 SSID)

Can I configure a Cisco IOS Software-based AP as a repeater

and associate with Lightweight AP Protocol (LWAPP)-based

APs? and What must be configured on the WLC side?

2 Replies 2

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Murat,

This configuration is not supported in Lightweight Mode;

Q. I have an existing wireless network (autonomous APs) with an access-point that is configured as a repeater. This network is to be migrated to a LWAPP wireless network. Can I use the LWAPP APs as repeaters?

A. LWAPP APs must join a controller, and they do not support a repeater mode since they all have to have some connectivity to the controller first. Cisco autonomous APs can be configured as repeaters, but due to the reduction in effective bandwidth available to end clients, repeaters are not the most highly recommended configuration. While any Cisco Aironet AP or LAP model can be used in either LWAPP or autonomous mode, in order to make that change, a software reimage is required. This is particularly complex when it goes from autonomous to LWAPP, so directly, no, an AIR-LAP1232AG-A-K9 does not natively support the repeater mode. It could be loaded with autonomous software and be made to support repeater mode, but that would involve a software change and a separate configuration.

From this good Q&A doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_qanda_item09186a00806a4da3.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks Rob

I read this before. I am trying to do something different. Lightweight Mode AP will not work in repeater mode. It will be the root AP (Still Connected to controller) an IOS Based AP will be the repeater mode and it will repeat from Lightweight Mode AP. I think I am missing a configuration on Controller. Maybe it does not allowing to do that.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card