cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VM/UM Unity 5.x Exch2k7

balukr
Level 2
Level 2

We have a customer running Unity 4.2 in two separate servers one for VM (all in one box) and another for UM with typical setup mail server off the box.

Now they want to upgrade Exchange to 2007 and put both VM and UM users on same box with mixed licensing. I know we have to upgrade Unity to 5.x to support Ex2k7 but what should we do to add those VM only users on the same box?

1. Does Unity support mixed VM/UM licensing with Exchg 2007?

2. Do we need a Exchange 2003 mail store just for VM only users?

3. Can we use the same exchange 2007 server withe separate OU for VM users.

4.If we have to add a separate exchange 2003 server for VM users, can this be installed on the Unity server itself or do we need a separate exchg2003 mail store server?

Thanks you so much for your help.

8 Replies 8

Bradford Magnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, mixed UM/VMO is offered. The licensing isn't dependent upon the Exchange version.

Here is a good white paper that should answer all/most of your questions regarding mixed mode and the migration process. It suggests that different mail stores be created on the Exchange server to house the VMO users.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/white/paper/cuumvme.html

Thanks. I saw this doc already, this doesn't explain what Exchange version should be installed/supported for UM/VM in mixed environment for Unity 5.x.

Mixed mode doesn't require a specific Exchange version. Exchange 2007 is supported with Unity 5, therefore will work when integrated with Unity 5. The UM/VM is all a matter of how AD accounts and mailboxes are organized which all comes into play with the Unity licensing as explained in that document.

You could just put the VMO users on the same Exchange 2007 server if you wanted. These users however obviously wouldn't have access to voice mail via their Outlook client or the View Mail plug-in available to them like the Unified subscribers would.

Hope this helps,

Brad

Understood that was my original design then I saw system requirement doc that recommends to put a separate E23 for VMO users to cover the license.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/requirements/50cusysreq.html#wp472166

If we use Exchg2007 for all VMO and UM users what about the exchange licensing for VMO users? They have to buy more Exchange 2007 user license or ??? becuase MSFT put more restrictions on licensing now.

Thanks for your quick response.

It appears that the supported config is that VMO users need to be on a separate mail store than UM users and they have to be homed on Exchange 2k3.

I just found out now that Cisco's agreement with MS is different now with Exchange 2007. Each CAL(mailbox) must be purchased and paid directly to MS.

If you use the Cisco-provided Exchange 2k3 CD, additional MS licensing isn't required since it's VMO.

So in your situation it looks like you'll need a separate Exchange server for the VMO users and will need to purchase the mailboxes from MS for the 2007 mail store.

Learn somethin' new everyday :)

Brad, where did you learn this?

Randy

Cisco internal discussion thread

Thanks Brad. So I can go with this design and tell my customer they need a separate Echg2003 server for VMO users.

Thanks again for all your help.