Views
Helpful
Replies

Management Interface - eth1

BRUNO WOLLMANN
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am just curious as to how many users have implemented their MARS appliance with only eth0 attached to their network and how many have implemented using both interfaces where eth0 is for collecting information and eth1 is for management?

thanks,

Bruno

5 Replies 5

michaelgreeley
Level 1
Level 1

I have done both and it didnt seem to make a difference.

Mike

cedar_lee
Level 1
Level 1

I am curious to know too.

pmccubbin
Level 5
Level 5

I have used both interfaces on numerous occassion and it is my preference for two reasons:

1. Putting ethernet 1 on a management VLAN is a Best Practice and makes your box less susceptible to a DOS attack on Ethernet 0.

2. I have seen a noticeable difference in the refresh rate of the Management screen when I use ethernet 1 to access the box. One of the developers of MARS told me they put more memory into the ethernet 1 interface so it would refresh faster.

Just my 2 cents.

Hope this helps.

dustinsuko
Level 1
Level 1

I have a MARS 110r deployed using eth1 for management and eth0 for collecting. This setup works well as others have stated due to the fact that MARS is more responsive while managing the box without adding additional stress to eth0. Previously I had only configured eth0 and used it for both purposes. I shortly found out that I was hindering the performance of the box as well as loosing valuable time to manage the box due to slowness.

Dustin

mhellman
Level 7
Level 7

We use a single interface, eth0. It is a gig port and PEAK utilization is < 5% with a MARS 210 processing 175 million events per day. From a performance standpoint, at least conceptually I can think of no reason why connecting on one interface or the other should matter unless the interface itself is the bottle neck. Given the numbers we see, I can't get excited about this as a performance enhancing thing. I'm not sure how this provides much security. The same daemons are listening on both interfaces, the only thing your doing is lighting up another interface and protecting THAT interface, which will only be accessed via HTTPS anyway. Perhaps if you were blocking access to the MARS monitoring interface externally, but then you could just limit management access to specific source networks. I don't want to diminish those that have had success with this, do what works for you. I suppose you could always light up both ports and have them available so that if you start having general slowness you can't test using the other interface.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: