cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1252's client bandwidth fluctuation + crash

jickfoo
Level 1
Level 1

I recently installed 10 1252's with TerraWave combined 2.4/5 Gigaherz antennas. While the coverage is great, the clients available bandwidth fluctuates greatly. Sometimes the client goes all the way to 1Mbps then bombs out. Reconnecting usually resolves the issue. We are very early in our project so usually there is not more then 1-2 users per AP. There are no link errors on the AP. My boss cant understand why he gets solid 45mbps from his linksys at home and at work speeds are all over the place. Please Help !

16 Replies 16

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Kind of hard to say... seems like it is a configuration issue. Post your show run-config... not the show running-config.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

thanks.. see attached

1. upgrade the boot image to 5.0.148.2 BOOT

2. configure your service port to an ip that is not part of your network. this has to be non routable... ex 192.168.250.10 255.255.255.0. Don't connect this to the network.

3. enable 802.11n (5 GHz) High Throughput, do not do this on the 2.4GHz.

4. configure the channel and power manually on the 5GHz band. This is required to enable 40mhz channel width.

5. enable 40mhz channel width on the 5ghz side.. either 40mhz above or below.

To configure 40mhz channel width above, ap must be set to one of these channels:

To configure 40mhz channel width below, ap must be set to one of these channels:

Also, you have peer to peer blocking an all your wlan's except for wlan 1. Is this what you want to do?

Try this and let me know.

-Scott

Thanks for your reply. I'm working toward implementing your changes.

I'm running image 5.1.151.0, I'm confused about how to upgrade just to boot image, or is it the bootloader version to 5.0.148.2 ?

Please help and thanks..

Just upgrade it the same as the code. You will need to reboot the wlc.

-Scott

I did, I dont think it took. How can I check just the boot version ? I dont see 5.0.148.2 anywhere in my show commands. The system runs 5.1.151.0, but that is different then the boot version right ?

Yes it is different. Run the show run-config. It is toward the top.

-Scott

Sometimes it doesn't show. Bug of course, but if it didn't fail during the tftp then it's there.

-Scott

Anythoughts if this is upgraded ? Was I suppose to disable WLANS or something ?

System Information

Manufacturer's Name.............................. Cisco Systems Inc.

Product Name..................................... Cisco Controller

Product Version.................................. 5.1.151.0

RTOS Version..................................... Linux-2.6.10_mvl401

Bootloader Version............................... 4.0.206.0

Build Type....................................... DATA + WPS

This shows boot image 4.0.206.0 with image 5.1.151.0. The upgrade path is from 4.0 xxx to 4.2 then to 5.1

So something has gone wrong and I would sort this out and see what happens before going forward.

Product Version.................................. 5.1.151.0

RTOS Version..................................... Linux-2.6.10_mvl401

Bootloader Version............................... 4.0.206.0

If the upgrade of the boot image did not fail them the upgrade took. This is an issue that TAC knows of.

-Scott

Thanks.. I got up to 4.2.112.0, then from there I ran the 5-0-148-2-ER upgrade, but the bootloader still reads, 4.2.112.0.

This is in the readme, its confusing. Could it truely be that after running the BOOT code for 5.0.148.2, there is no way to see that its been installed ?

Unlike previous ER images, a new bootloader file is not loaded when you install the 5.0.148.2 ER.aes file. This is true for all controllers. The 4.2.112.0 ER.aes file is the last ER file to contain a bootloader. If you want the latest bootloader, install the 4.2.112.0 ER.aes file. If you want to obtain the fix for CSCsd52483, also install the 5.0.148.2 ER.aes file.

You are correct. Not every ER upgrades the boot.

-Scott

So after I run that update, there is no way to actually verify that it successfully took the update? That's weird..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card