Views
Helpful
Replies

Power Controller reports power Imax error detected

ernest617
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My 3560 switch w/ IOS 12.2(35)SE have below message last night. Would anyone know what happen?

Sep 23 18:54:58.468 UTC: %ILPOWER-7-DETECT: Interface Fa0/10: Power Device dete

ted: IEEE PD

Sep 23 18:54:58.468 UTC: %ILPOWER-5-INVALID_IEEE_CLASS: Interface Fa0/10: has d

tected invalid IEEE class: 7 device. Power denied

Sep 23 18:57:37.542 UTC: %ILPOWER-3-CONTROLLER_PORT_ERR: Controller port error,

Interface Fa0/12: Power Controller reports power Imax error detected

Sep 23 18:57:44.580 UTC: %SWITCH_QOS_TB-5-TRUST_DEVICE_LOST: cisco-phone no lon

er detected on port Fa0/12, port set to untrusted.

Sep 23 18:57:48.674 UTC: %ILPOWER-7-DETECT: Interface Fa0/12: Power Device deteted: Cisco PD

Sep 23 18:57:48.741 UTC: %ILPOWER-3-CONTROLLER_PORT_ERR: Controller port error, Interface Fa0/12: Power Controller reports power Tstart error detected

Thanks and Regards

Ernest

32 Replies 32

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am suspecting this has to do something with the IP phone on this port since it is requesting invalid class power. Did the phone come back up fine? If not, you might want to see if the same phone works on a different port or a switch to see if you just have a bad phone

We have a 2960 at one of our sites and we got notifications that all phones became unregistered.  I looked at the logs and saw

Sep 21 22:25:12.970 GMT: %ILPOWER-3-CONTROLLER_PORT_ERR: Controller port error, Interface Fa0/8: Power Controller reports power Imax error detected

Sep 21 22:25:13.675 GMT: %ILPOWER-3-CONTROLLER_PORT_ERR: Controller port error, Interface Fa0/15: Power Controller reports power Imax error detected

this appears to be affecting all our ports on that switch

Hi,

This error indicates that PD is drawing over-current more than allowed/supported per IEEE 802.3af standard.

Log:

Sep 21 22:25:13.675 GMT: %ILPOWER-3-CONTROLLER_PORT_ERR: Controller port error, Interface Fa0/15: Power Controller reports power Imax error detected

• What type of the device are connected to interfaces where you are seeing this error?
  • Do you use any kind of POE splitter on the interface?

This issue is looks like it is matching with known bug CSCsw18530

CSCsw18530 - Power Imax / Tstart errors may be reported with some third party PDs

Symptoms:

Power Imax / Tstart errors may be reported with some third party PDs

%ILPOWER-3-CONTROLLER_PORT_ERR: Controller port error, Interface Power Controller reports power Imax error detected

%ILPOWER-3-CONTROLLER_PORT_ERR: Controller port error, Interface Gi1/0/35: Power Controller reports power Tstart error detected

Conditions:

Seen with some of the 3750,3750G,3750-E,3560-E, 3750-X, 3560-X, 3560-C, 2960S, 2960,2960C switches

Workaround:

Longer cable (>50ft) seems to fix the issue in most cases.

Solution

This issue is fixed in 12.2(55)SE3 , 12.2(58)SE1 and later releases. The following  interface configuration commands have to be applied to resolve the issue,

Switch(config)# int x/y
Switch(config-if)# power inline port 2x-mode
Switch(config-if)# shut
Switch(config-if)# no shut

The fix is present in the following platforms only :

3750-E, 3560-E, 3750-X, 3560-X, 3560-C, 2960S, 2960,2960C. The other platforms do not support 2X power mode and the workaround would be to use a longer cable.

Regards,

Aru

*** Please rate if the post is useful ***

Regards, Aru *** Please rate if the post useful ***

Both ports had 7942 phones connected.  The switch is using IOS 12.2(58)SE2.  The ports are all in an up/up state now.  If the issue reoccurs I will try your suggestions.  On the same switch we do have two Meraki MR16 PoE WAP's connected also.  Is it possible they could be drawing too much power?  We'll keep monitoring.

Hi Danny,

Please make sure that those two Meraki MR16 PoE WAP's are complaint to to 8023af standard. If this meets this standard, it will work without any trouble,

If you see any abnormal behavior on PoW, use the show inline power and show inline power detail privileged EXEC commands to compare the number of connected powered devices against the switch power budget (available PoE). Verify that switch power budget can power the device.

Note:

If the switch power budget is depleted, additional powered devices will not power-on when connected to a PoE port. CDP (Cisco Discovery Protocol) helps identify Cisco devices and correctly establish the switch power budget.

Refer:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/troubleshooting/g_power_over_ethernet.html#wp1018190

Regards,

Aru

*** Please rate if the post is useful ***

Regards, Aru *** Please rate if the post useful ***

Hello,

This issue is solved in 12.2(55)SE3 for 3560-X and working well.

and i upgraded IOS c3560-ipbasek9-mz.122-55.SE3.bin but the command #power inline port 2x-mode not available in IOS.

Look forward for someone response to resolve this issue

Thank you all.

I'd recommend using 12.(55)SE10 instead.

after upgraded to 12.(55)SE10 still the command #power inline port 2x-mode not available.

waiting your replay

any update 

waiting any Engineer replay

Yes, looks like you are hitting this bug (CSCsw18530) and why this IMAX power error popup on Cisco switch:

After a PD (connected to one of our ports) is turned on, the hardware keeps on monitoring the current drawn by the PD so if the current drawn by a PD exceeds the pre-configured cutoff current (ICUT) for a limited time (TCUT) then the power controller will shut it down and informs the software about the fault. The software upon hearing about this fault, will print out the "IMAX error" message, remove the power and start a timer to start detecting the PD after the expiry of that timer. So if the device is continuously misbehaving (i.e. drawing more than ICUT current even after TCUT time) then we will keep on powering it up and then shutting it down.

Please try to connect longer cable (<50) and let me know if it's fix this issue or not.

Regards,

Sweta

I just wanted to note that I was having the same issue with the "power Imax error" and I initially attempted the config for power inline port 2x-mode:

Switch(config)# int x/y
Switch(config-if)# power inline port 2x-mode
Switch(config-if)# shut
Switch(config-if)# no shut

Initially this did not work for my by simply issuing a shut, no shut comand.  However once I configured the interfaces with the "power inline 2x-mode", and then reloaded the entire switch/stack, all PDs powered up correctly and I had no errors.

It's worth a shot to attempt a full reload rather than shutting off the interface and bringing it back up.

It worked for me as my IP Clocks were taking 15.4W on Cisco C2960-8PC-L switch.

Thankyou sir.

boucherandre
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

We are at the begining of a wireless deployment in an hospital here, and at this  time I have 2 Aruba AP105 that stop working this week with this error log:

%ILPOWER-3-CONTROLLER_PORT_ERR: Controller port error, Interface Gi1/0/19: Power Controller reports power Imax error detected

I try the workaround and the solution with the  "power inline port 2x-mode" command on a  2960s POE+ 12.2 55(se5), but still the same problem.  I also upgrade the firmware of the wireless controllers to the latest.

Someone can help?

thanks!

Try this ...

1.  Command:  test cable tdr int G1/0/19;

2.  Wait for 5 to 7 seconds;

3.  Command:  sh cable tdr int G1/0/19; and

4.  Post the output to #3.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: