cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DFM Trap Forwarding Appears To Break DFM Trap Notifications

GERARD PUOPLO
Level 1
Level 1

I just opened a TAC case on this but would be curious if anyone has any info on a problem I am having now with DFM 3.0.3 on Windows.

I have DFM 3.0.3 with LMS 3.0.1 with DFM as a slave DCR to the LMS master. I have DFM configured to send SNMP notifications to CIC. All appears to be working fine. I disable a switch I get a DFM trap in CIC from DFM saying SWITCH unresponsive.

When I enable DFM to forward SNMP traps to CIC, then basically it seems to break DFM trap notifications. After enabling DFM trap forwarding, I disable the same switch and I get no SWITCH unresponsive traps from DFM. I disable trap forwarding in DFM and all again works fine.

I confirmed via packet capture that when DFM trap forwarding is enabled, then DFM fails to send out many of its notifications via SNMP traps but still works ok sending them thru email notifications.

6 Replies 6

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The two processes are unrelated. DFM trap forwarding happens at the DfmServer level where as notifications happen at the NOS level. Are you still seeing new events in the Alerts and Activities View with trap forwarding enabled? Are you seeing any device traps forwarded through DFM to CIC?

I understand the architecture and you seemed to validate that trap forwarding is a supported feature.

The unresponsive and other events show up fine in Alerts and Activities and thru email notifications.

I am seeing some device traps forwarded through DFM to CIC but not the AnyClass unresponsive events.

I tested this several times on two separate DFM deployments and same results.

BTW I have DFM listening for traps on port 161 but forwarding traps to CIC on port 3100. I also have DFm configured to send trap notifications to CIC port 3100.

Why listening on 161? The typical trap port is udp/162.

I always get these two ports confused. Anyway I didn't change DFM in this regards so it's listening for traps on whatever is the well know port for managers to listen for traps.

You should send your engineer the NMSROOT/dfmLogs/NOS/nos.log with Notification Services debugging enabled along with a sample event that was generated which did not produce a trap notification.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: