cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth Policing

itdsmartnet
Level 1
Level 1

hi, I have configured QOS on my router, the following is the configuration.

class-map match-any HTTP_TRAFFIC

match protocol http

class-map match-any ftp-traffic

match protocol ftp

class-map match-any nbar-discovery

match protocol fasttrack

match protocol bittorrent

match protocol edonkey

match protocol gnutella

match protocol winmx

match protocol napster

class-map match-any STREAMING

match protocol h323

!

!

policy-map blocking_P2P

class nbar-discovery

police cir percent 1

conform-action transmit

exceed-action drop

class STREAMING

drop

class HTTP_TRAFFIC

police cir percent 50

class ftp-traffic

police cir percent 25

and then apply policy-map to the interface. My Question is that What bandwidth the class "class-map match-any nbar-discovery" will get. i have configured interface with bandwidth 4096. will all my protocol in class "class-map match-any nbar-discovery" share the 40500bps bandwidth or each protocol will get 40500 bps bandwidth.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hi Waseem

let me give u simple desicription regarding ur question

with qos and bandwdith managment

we have police, bandwidth and priority

with bandwidth and priority u will assigne ( reserive ) amount of bandwidth to that class in case of the link is conjested regardless this amount is percent or in K

but prioity class will be seriviced first as we know it as LLQ

now for policing u are giveing the maximum of allwed bandwidth if it go above the policer will start droping it this is the normal policer know as singl buckt policer if u wanna go to advanced policing there is a dual bucket policer which might go above the limit based on Bc and Be anyway this is out of ur question

so with bandwith and priority if the link is not conjisted and there is available bandwidth then these calss will use more and as mentioned the amount is considered in case f conjestion

while the policer is limited to the maximum from the biging so regard less the link is conjested or not the max will be based on ur plicer amount of bnadwidth

in ur case any think not with in the policer will use any amount of available nadwith in case of high traffic each class hace policing will use max bandith based on its policer and the rest will be for the defualt

good luck

if helpful Rate

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

dominic.caron
Level 5
Level 5

All protocol in the class nbar-discovery will share 1% of the bandwidth. (40500)

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Class nbar-discovery won't average more than 1% (or 41 Kbps) because of your "police cir percent 1". It might not even obtain that because of (implicit) class-default.

Thanks.

one more thing i want to ask is , bittorent will get 1 % , HTTP will get 50 % and FTP will get 25 %. what about the other protocols , what bandwidth will they get.

As an input policy, since you didn't specify anything for other traffic, other traffic could have up to 100% - actively used % other defined classes. Which would be between 100% and 24%.

As an output policy, you still need to consider the policers, but assuming max-reserved-bandwidth hasn't overriden the minimum, minimum guaranteed should be about 25% but if other classes aren't using their maximums, up to 100%.

please elaborate your answer if possible.

hi Waseem

let me give u simple desicription regarding ur question

with qos and bandwdith managment

we have police, bandwidth and priority

with bandwidth and priority u will assigne ( reserive ) amount of bandwidth to that class in case of the link is conjested regardless this amount is percent or in K

but prioity class will be seriviced first as we know it as LLQ

now for policing u are giveing the maximum of allwed bandwidth if it go above the policer will start droping it this is the normal policer know as singl buckt policer if u wanna go to advanced policing there is a dual bucket policer which might go above the limit based on Bc and Be anyway this is out of ur question

so with bandwith and priority if the link is not conjisted and there is available bandwidth then these calss will use more and as mentioned the amount is considered in case f conjestion

while the policer is limited to the maximum from the biging so regard less the link is conjested or not the max will be based on ur plicer amount of bnadwidth

in ur case any think not with in the policer will use any amount of available nadwith in case of high traffic each class hace policing will use max bandith based on its policer and the rest will be for the defualt

good luck

if helpful Rate

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card