Views
Helpful
Replies

How to perform simple nat on a router

dan_track
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I've got an old 6500 switch with an MSF card doing the routing for the switch. On one of the vlans I'd like to setup NAT, but I'm little uncertain about it. What I have is an internal network being routed to this switch via the wan, what I want is for any traffic destined for ip 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.0 to be natted to 10.45.12.128 255.255.255.192. What do I need to place on the vlan configuration and in the main configuration?

Thanks

Dan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dan

Nat doesn't really "know" as such. You can have multiple "ip nat inside" statements and only one "ip nat outside" or any combination really.

By adding another "ip nat inside" you will not effect the existing one. The key is that all you are doing is saying any traffic coming in this interface is natted or any traffic leaving this interface is natted etc. You specify IP addresses/tcp|udp ports in the access-list.

Jon

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dan

Could you explain the topology a bit more. As an example

int vlan 10

ip address 192.168.5.1 255.255.255.0

ip nat inside

int vlan 20

ip address 192.168.10.1 255.255.255.0

ip nat outside

ip nat pool NATIP 10.45.12.128 10.45.12.192 netmask 255.255.255.192

ip nat inside source list 101 pool NATIP overload

The above example would NAT any traffic coming from clients on vlan 10 and destined for any hosts reachable by vlan 20 interface to an IP address from the 10.45.12.128/26 range.

You may need to use a route-map for your NAT but it is a bit unclear from your description. See attached link for more details on NAT

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/technologies/tk648/tk361/tk438/technologies_white_paper09186a0080091cb9.html

Edit - forgot the access-list 101 - see Satish's example for access-list.

Jon

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. The only problem I have is that I already have nat set up on the router for vlan 10 and vlan 20. On vlan 10 I have set "ip nat inside" and on vlan 20 "ip nat outside".

If I've already configured these statements and my new vlans need the same statement how then can I match my pool, source list against the nat directions for my new vlans, i.e how can I create the uniqueness for these statements and their associated nat pool statements?

Hopefully I've made myself clear, if not please let me know.

Thanks

Dan

Hi

Just wondering if someone could help with my follow up question!

Thanks

Dan

Dan

I'm not sure i fully understand.

ip nat inside source list 101 pool NATIP overload

This is the line that ties them together. So you define the traffic flows ie. source/dst IP addresses via an access-list and then you tie the pool to the access-list so you have uniqueness.

If i have misunderstood please come back.

Jon

Hi

It's probably me, but let's say I have the following:

vlan 10

ip nat inside

vlan 20

ip nat outside

vlan 100

ip nat inside

vlan 200

ip nat outside

How does nat know which "inside" statement relates to its corresponding "outside" statement?

If I have "ip nat inside" statement already and I add another one in a different vlan will the existing one be affected in any way?

Maybe it doesn't even matter and I'm looking at the wrong area and that what you mentioned about the nat pool is the real issue.

Your thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

Dan

Nat doesn't really "know" as such. You can have multiple "ip nat inside" statements and only one "ip nat outside" or any combination really.

By adding another "ip nat inside" you will not effect the existing one. The key is that all you are doing is saying any traffic coming in this interface is natted or any traffic leaving this interface is natted etc. You specify IP addresses/tcp|udp ports in the access-list.

Jon

Brilliant, that answered my question. Thanks for your help.

Dan

satish_zanjurne
Level 4
Level 4

int vlan xx

ip nat inside

ip address a.b.c.x x.x.x.x

int wan

ip nat outside

ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

ip nat source list 100 pool outsidepool

ip nat pool outsidepool 10.45.12.129-10.45.12.190 netmask 255.255.255.192

access-list 100 permit ip a.b.c.x x.x.x.x 10.10.10.0 0.0.0.255

where ,

a.b.c.x is your vlan IP address range.

HTH..rate if helpful...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card