cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Temperature Sensor - Any Updates?

mattjohnstonsr
Level 1
Level 1

I know there was a thread back in May of last year (07) of ASA's not having one, has anyone thought of this design flaw? We have a great need for this, since our current environment has seen degradation of the AC units and our DC is locked in currently. Budgetary constraints won't allow us to move now, so we need to be able to monitor temperatures before a total AC outage happens again. These ASA's (failover conf) will take on new duty of the old VPN concentrator (does have a temp sensor...strange, why wouldn't this carry over).

Thanks,

Matt Johnston

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Matt,

Sorry, I misunderstood your initial question. I was thinking that you were talking about the FAN itself :-)

Yes, you are correct. The ASA5510 and higher running 7.x and 8.0 versions does not have a show command for the environment status or a MIB to pull this specific information.

Couple of things I wanted to mention and hope you find it useful.

1. The cfwHardwareStatusValue object from the CISCO-FIREWALL-MIB will let you know if the device is too hot or not.

Object cfwHardwareStatusValue

OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.147.1.2.1.1.1.3

Type HardwareStatus

1:other

2:up

3:down

4:error

5:overTemp

6:busy

7:noMedia

8:backup

9:active

10:standby

Permission read-only

Status current

MIB CISCO-FIREWALL-MIB

2. The ASA5580 running 8.1 version has the command that you are looking for, that is "Show Environment". And Version 8.1 is only supported on ASA 5580-20 and ASA 5580-40 adaptive security appliances

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa81/command/ref/s3.html#wp1412137

Regards,

Arul

** Please rate all helpful posts **

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

ajagadee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Matt,

My understanding is the ASA5510 and higher have temperature sensors built into them. This Temperature sensor is what assists the ASA's to automatically adjust fan speed based on temperature inside the chassis.

The ASA5505 does not have Temperature Sensor because it does not have a fan to cool the air.

Regards,

Arul

** Please rate helpful posts **

Arul,

The problem with that, both of my 5520's can not show env like you could with a switch...and no mib, so I can't look there. Unfortunately, everyone I've checked with says the same thing, they can't check their temps either. My fans run at a constant speed, this we get when the ASA boots, the pitch on the fan screams for a little bit, but then drops. I really do wish we had a way of checking the temp, since these sit lower on the rack from our 6500 (core) which we're trying to keep cool. The Net Eng team is short handed and I check our VPN 3000 now to see the temp. However, once I migrate the L2L's over to the HA ASA's, that will be decommed.

Thanks for listening.

Matt,

Sorry, I misunderstood your initial question. I was thinking that you were talking about the FAN itself :-)

Yes, you are correct. The ASA5510 and higher running 7.x and 8.0 versions does not have a show command for the environment status or a MIB to pull this specific information.

Couple of things I wanted to mention and hope you find it useful.

1. The cfwHardwareStatusValue object from the CISCO-FIREWALL-MIB will let you know if the device is too hot or not.

Object cfwHardwareStatusValue

OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.147.1.2.1.1.1.3

Type HardwareStatus

1:other

2:up

3:down

4:error

5:overTemp

6:busy

7:noMedia

8:backup

9:active

10:standby

Permission read-only

Status current

MIB CISCO-FIREWALL-MIB

2. The ASA5580 running 8.1 version has the command that you are looking for, that is "Show Environment". And Version 8.1 is only supported on ASA 5580-20 and ASA 5580-40 adaptive security appliances

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa81/command/ref/s3.html#wp1412137

Regards,

Arul

** Please rate all helpful posts **

Thanks Arul...I just rated the reply. Too bad we don't have the funds to acquire the 5580...we're having problems just getting the 5520's in to replace our outdated P525.

Thanks again,

MJ

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card