cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

mac address-table notification mac-move needed for Dynamic Updates?

david.fernandes
Level 1
Level 1

Is "mac address-table notification mac-move" needed for Dynamic Updates to work properly in Campus Manager (LMS 3.1)?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The only traps Campus Manager processes are Dynamic UT are cmnMacChangedNotification traps. Therefore, all you need to configure are:

(Under the interfaces)

snmp trap mac-notification change added

snmp trap mac-notification change removed

(Global)

mac address-table notification change

mac address-table notification change interval 15

snmp-server enable traps mac-notification change

snmp-server host HOST COMMUNITY udp-port 1431 mac-notification

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The only traps Campus Manager processes are Dynamic UT are cmnMacChangedNotification traps. Therefore, all you need to configure are:

(Under the interfaces)

snmp trap mac-notification change added

snmp trap mac-notification change removed

(Global)

mac address-table notification change

mac address-table notification change interval 15

snmp-server enable traps mac-notification change

snmp-server host HOST COMMUNITY udp-port 1431 mac-notification

One question regarding this when applied to 6500s. I've noticed that the "mac-address-table notification change" and the "mac address-table notification change interval 15" does not work.

Was this command deprecated on the 6500s (tried this on 12.2(18)SXF14)? If so, what's the equivalent replacement?

The change traps are not supported on the 6500s running IOS.

So would that mean, at least for now, that Dynamic User Tracking will not work for 6500s running IOS?

Correct. My best guess on why this is the case is that 6500s are typically not use at the access layer.

Switches which can support Dynamic UT are 3560s, 3550s, 3750s, XLs, 2970s, 2960s, ME3400s, 6Ks running CatOS, and 4Ks running CatOS.

Thanks for the list. I'm a bit surprised by this, but I'll take it up through our account manager.

I've found that the "mac-address-table notification change" command is available in 12.2(33)SXH for the 6500s (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/lanswitch/command/reference/lsw_m1.html#wp1012601).

Are there future plans for LMS to support Dynamic UT for 6Ks running IOS?

If the trap is there, UT will support it. It just doesn't have the ability to configure it right now. However, if you manually add the commands to the switch, UT won't care that the traps are coming from a 6500 running IOS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: