cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multilink problem..

vinothlb1
Level 1
Level 1

I m having cisco 2600 router with IOS version 12.0.. I need to configure multilink in my router having s0/0 and s0/1.. In my ISP they have configured like

RouterA(conf)#int multilink 3

and configured..

But in my router having only this option

RouterB(conf)#multilink bundle-name authenticated

how to configure both end.. because both end having different option to configure multilink..

pls provide any link to advantagres of multilink

How to configure in my router? what is the advantages of multilink? It is very urgent. Pls help

3 Replies 3

drolemc
Level 6
Level 6

Multiclass multilink PPP provides the ability to fragment packets of various priorities into multiple classes, allowing high-priority packets to be sent between fragments of lower priorities. In multiclass multilink PPP, outgoing packets can be divided into four different multilink classes. Each class has its own governing sequence number, and the receiving network peer (bundle) sorts and processes each class independently. Sequence numbers are embedded in the multilink header and used internally to reassemble packets.

Multiclass multilink PPP must be successfully negotiated with the peer system. If multiclass multilink PPP cannot be negotiated with the peer system, the router uses standard interleaving, Priority queue traffic is always PPP encapsulated when interleaving with non-priority traffic.

STEPS

1. enable

2. configure terminal

3. interface multilink multilink-bundle-number

4. ip address ip_address mask

5. ppp multilink

6. ppp multilink interleave

7. ppp multilink fragment delay milliseconds [microseconds]

8. ppp timeout multilink lost-fragment seconds [milliseconds]

9. ppp multilink multiclass local {request [initial init-value] [maximum max-value] | allow [maximum max-value] | forbid}

10. ppp multilink multiclass remote {apply [minimum min-value] | reject | ignore}

11. no cdp enable

12. exit

For further information click this url.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2sb/feature/guide/mcmlp.html#wp1136974

shivlu jain
Level 5
Level 5

the requirement of multilink is for aggregation of bandwidth. Logically it is called a bundled bandwidth. It means if you have 2 e1's then you can club the 2 e1 and get a single logical 4mb bandwitdth pipe. With this you will get the redundancy also, if any of the link goes down, capacity of link will down to 2 mb.

How to configure:-

first go to the serial interface and choose the encapsulation type ppp.

int serial 0/0

encapsulation ppp

ppp multilink group 1

end

int multilink 1

ip address x.x.x.x/30

how to check ppp

show ip multilink interface multilink 1

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios124/124cg/hqos_c/part30/ch05/qslfisrl.pdf

regards

shivlu

shivlu jain
Level 5
Level 5

multilink bundle-name authenticated is used for authentication.

regards

shivlu

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card