Helpful
Replies

Network Design Help

csco11142276
Level 1
Level 1

Experts,

As usual, need your help again on my network design. Here are my questions:

1). We have just ordered 1*6500 and with 2*6748GE-TX cards for server connectivity, now wondering what would be the best way to connect all servers to the 2*6748GE-TX cards in a resilient fashion. My first choice will be to do load balancing over two connections terminating over separate cards. Is it possible to achieve this as we have 1*6500 installed with both cards or would it be active/standby scenario? Also, do I have to run Spanning tree to achieve this?

2). The core switch will be also connected the access layer stacks over diverse paths. I am planning to run EIGRP Stub between Core switch and access layer stacks. Question on this is, I have got 2*fibres+1*Copper available for Core-Access layer stack connectivity. Can I configure EIGRP Stub on 3 links (2*fibres+1*Copper)terminating on the core switch on the separate 10G cards and configure these 3 links as "L3 routed EtherChannel Links" running EIGRP Stub.

It would be a great help if possible to provide supportive document explaining similar scenarios.

Input to these would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

To be fair design questions come up quite often on these forums so not sure you should really have to pay :)

1) I would use active/standby NIC configuration and as you say connect each NIC to a separate 6748-GE-TX module. You should run STP anyway on your switch - rstp (rapid spanning-tree) has very good convergence times in comparison to the original 802.1d.

2) Yes you can mix copper and fibre in an etherchannel bundle as long as they are the same speed/duplex etc...

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Adam Frederick
Level 3
Level 3

Most people pay for the detailed info your seeking.

A

Thanks for letting me know mate.Appreciate your help.

Regards,

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

To be fair design questions come up quite often on these forums so not sure you should really have to pay :)

1) I would use active/standby NIC configuration and as you say connect each NIC to a separate 6748-GE-TX module. You should run STP anyway on your switch - rstp (rapid spanning-tree) has very good convergence times in comparison to the original 802.1d.

2) Yes you can mix copper and fibre in an etherchannel bundle as long as they are the same speed/duplex etc...

Jon

Jon,

Thanks a lot mate.You have sorted me out from deep jungle.

Regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: